FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to open an old self contained file in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brodner
Trying to open an old self contained file in FCP
on Oct 25, 2009 at 2:48:16 pm

I'm trying to piece together a new demo reel for my video work and have a couple questions.

In the past, I've had to use my compressed files, (1280x720 MP4's), to edit together my stuff because it's all I had. Once I compressed it for vimeo and web, I ditched all the files associated with the video. Well, I learned my lesson shortly after because obviously FCP hates MP4's and already compressed files to work with. So I started exporting self contained quicktimes from my work and then taking that and compressing it for the web. Well now I'm kind of confused because I just imported a year old quicktime self contained file into FCP and I had no problems...works great. I went to import another file, same way, and it can't find some kind of sequence therefore aborts the import. It's not playable anymore. (see picture below)

Photobucket
Why would I be able to open one SC file and not another?

Is this the best way to go about making a reel anyways? I always wondered how people use their old work in a new FCP timeline.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to open an old self contained file in FCP
on Oct 25, 2009 at 3:02:16 pm

That error indicates that the movie you are trying to open isn't self contained, but rather a REFERENCE movie. It is looking for a render file that is no longer there.

[Michael Brodner] "Is this the best way to go about making a reel anyways? I always wondered how people use their old work in a new FCP timeline. "

I always export self contained QT movies in the given codec the exist. I have two hard drives full of my finished work

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]