FORUMS: list search recent posts

flash frames and fields

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Barr
flash frames and fields
on Oct 24, 2009 at 6:08:10 pm

I have been working on a series containing studio segments which were captured as a studio mix from a mixing desk output onto DIgibeta. When these Digi's are ingested in Final Cut they contained flash frames intermittently. A field from the outgoing frame/camera angle is mixed with a field from the incoming frame/camera angle. At first I thought this was an issue with the mixing desk at the studio. But after communicating with them and being assured there was no problem there I checked the tape and so no problems and then digitised the same footage in an Avid system and found there to be no problems with the footage in an Avid. I am ingesting the footage into the Final Cut Pro as Blackmagic 8bit PAL on version 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: flash frames and fields
on Oct 24, 2009 at 9:51:21 pm

Do your field dominance settings match the tape footage?

Return to posts index

David Barr
on Oct 25, 2009 at 8:14:44 am

I believe it should be upper field first for pal digibeta and lower field for any pal dv with a shift field filter. Is that correct? I'm away from the project for a few days but I'll double check when I'm next in work on Wednesday.Thanks for your reply.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 25, 2009 at 8:58:20 pm

Yes the PAL world got it right many years ago and standardised on all formats being Upper Field. Then some idiot let DV codec through the tech vetting with lower fields.

So DV is the only lower field PAl codec.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:04:32 am

DV is Lower in all the countries and all the flavors (D25,D50,D-9,..)
They decided DigiBeta to be Upper in PAL and Lower in NTSC.
After researching and asking I haven't found any logical explanation for this.
The only reason I can understand is to avoid any possible compatibility-playability between PAL and NTSC machines.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Kevin McCue
on Jul 15, 2010 at 8:29:17 am

Hi, did you ever find out what the problem was? i as getting a similar problem with a HD project in FCP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]