FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED/FCP/COLOR Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Olson
RED/FCP/COLOR Workflow
on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:37:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to post a :30 TV spot that will eventually be broadcast in both HD and SD (deliverable format is HD Cam and Digi Beta). The spot is being shot on the RED and I would like to handle all of the editing and color grading in-house utilizing Final Cut Pro 7 and Color 1.5. I have read the RED/FCP whitepaper and I wanted to get your guys' opinions of the best workflow.

I will be working with a Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Quad Core Processor; 8 GB of Memory; The Scratch disc will a 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s.

Is it best to transcode to 4444 or 422 HQ? Does it make since to conform to the raw RED files for color grading?

Thanks, Guys. Appreciate it as always.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: RED/FCP/COLOR Workflow
on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:28:24 pm

How fast is your drive? If it is a FW800 drive then it might struggle with 4444 and HQ, depending on the frame rate. Do a drive speed test. AJA have a speed test utility free to download.

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Oct 23, 2009 at 10:00:42 pm

Hi Michael,

That was another question that I had. Currently, it is around 320 mb/s if I used the internal secondary drive.

Would it be better to work off of an external drive? If so, what would you recommend and how would be the best way to hook up with the computer?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 24, 2009 at 6:13:52 am

Ultimately you might need to have everything on an external if you need to move the project from your suite to somewhere else for grading/ online. I also like the idea that an external can be used as an archive drive for the project. Drives are so cheap these days.

An external esata RAID is probably your best bet. There have been many posts here about recommendations for fast external drives so search is going to be helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]