FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-QT to Flash-best practices

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Stephens
FCP-QT to Flash-best practices
on Oct 21, 2009 at 6:47:43 pm

Hey guys,

I have a DVCpro720 file that I need to export so the client can import to their PC and do the Flash encode for their website. What are best practices?

I exported a QT file that plays back in Quicktime on the edit Mac, but not on the office Mac. (same vintage)

And the quicktime movie looks like it is kinda dusty, not real crisp at full screen size. At half screen size it is looking good.. what am I doing wrong?

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP-QT to Flash-best practices
on Oct 21, 2009 at 7:22:41 pm

What codec are you exporting and how are you exporting it?

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Oct 21, 2009 at 8:16:11 pm

Thanks Jeremy "What codec are you exporting and how are you exporting it?"

I have tried many variations, 1st - straight from sequence via compressor-
2, just using export>Qt movie>Current Settings (export to Flash-crashes the FCP)

I have changed the setting in compressor to just about all of them, Advanced settings>DVCpro 720p60 and HD DVD HD Mpeg2 - 30 minutes and Quicktime Movie, H264 for DVD Studio Pro, etc

I must be missing a button somewhere. I have FCP 5.1.4 on a Mac Octo with 8Gb ram..

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Oct 21, 2009 at 8:28:56 pm

[Nate Stephens] "I have a DVCpro720 file that I need to export so the client can import to their PC and do the Flash encode for their website. What are best practices? "

There aren't any best practices because the PC guys don't really know what they need or want form your Macintosh and that makes them nervous. As far they're concerned, you're the only problem in the whole project.

Quicktime is probably a useless wrapper for them. I suggest you hand off an AVI using the best settings you understand to make it as good as possible.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Oct 21, 2009 at 8:42:16 pm

David,

" the PC guys don't really know what they need or want from your Macintosh and that makes them nervous"

How the heck did you know that I have been fighting clientFires all day. Did I mention they are using 2005 Macromedia Flash encoder (Macromedia who) - does that sway the recipe or is 2005 Flash = 2009 Flash ??

Besides being a little Brutal, you think AVI's is the best, how about MPEG 2 or H264 ???

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:28:02 pm

You need either a Quicktime mov with a codec that is available on the PC... OR an AVI in a codec that is available on the PC.

For a lower common denominator approach, I'd probably export the timeline as QT Movie, Current Setting, Self-Contained. Take that to Compressor and create a preset using PhotoJPEG compression with the quality set to 75%. This will give you a Quicktime Mov with an 8-bit, 4:2:2 color space in a codec that comes standard with all flavors of Quicktime--Mac or PC.

You can also make an AVI with the PhotoJPEG 75% codec. Do this in MPEG Streamclip. You can search for this topic on the Cow Compression Techniques forum, I think. I've used it with good success to supply a file for use in Windows Media Encoder--the ancient encoding app from Microsoft.

If the client is not taking the file into an edit but only compressing to Flash, I'd make sure the file you send them is full square pixel dimensions. Don't send 960x720 or 1280x1080 files with non-square pixels. It will only confuse them. My 2 cents on that.

If your file needs to be put on a PC hard drive, formatted FAT32, I hope it's going to be smaller than 4GB. Otherwise...complications. If it's too big, I'd recommend putting it on a mac formatted drive and have them buy a program to read Mac drives on the PC (it's called MacDrive).

You can also go to ProRes 422 and tell the PC folks where to obtain the codec from Apple. It's verging on overkill in terms of quality and the complication factor might be higher.

Final Cut Pro 6.0.5, Mac OS-X 10.5.6, Quicktime 7.6, Adobe Prod Prem CS4, G5 Quad 2.5, Kona-LHe V6, 8.5GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800-GT 256MB, G-RAID 2x1TB FW800, 6TB RAID-5 (Enhance E8-ML, Highpoint 2322), Panasonic HVX-200P P2. Also MBP 17" Core 2 Duo 2.5, 4GB, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 22, 2009 at 1:15:10 pm

Theoretically h.264 would be your best pick as Flash now is based on the same codec .f4v versus mac's .m4v), but as your PC mates are still in stone age with Flash 5 so that won't work (they should upgrade first then they can give lessons).

Secondly, exporting to iPod can give you .m4v and the movies are OK on latest PCs (for the above reason)
and for the fact that many PCs have iTunes now installed. Of course, this is only OK if iPod size is not too small (in that case go for the first solution, custom made h.264).

Finally, uploadt your DVCPro file to Vimeo and they'll encode it for you, then tell the PC australopithecus'
to embed that video - voila, no need to go thru their beige boxes at all :)

P.S. david bogie - LOL! It's so true!

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]