FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client wants to deliver footage digitized with v6. I have v5.0.4. Will it work?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Dillon
Client wants to deliver footage digitized with v6. I have v5.0.4. Will it work?
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:30:14 pm

A potential client wants to provide me with a hard drive of HDV clips digitized with FCP v6. I have FCP v5.0.4 .Will I be able to import the footage into my project and play it without any problems?

Playroom Creative
http://www.playroomcreative.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Client wants to deliver footage digitized with v6. I have v5.0.4. Will it work?
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:34:09 pm

You might be able to read the raw quicktime files but you won't be able to open any project sequences. Also version 5 was early days for HDV so even that may be a problem.

There were some fundamental changes to quicktime a while back to include multi track audio. If your quicktime version is pre that change, then you will not be able to access the audio tracks properly.

5.0.4 is an old version. Any reason not to upgrade?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Client wants to deliver footage digitized with v6. I have v5.0.4. Will it work?
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:39:53 pm

Yep, should be no problem.

Just have them digitize the media, then export an XML Version 2 and you'll even be able to open that up which will essentially be their entire FCP v.6 project.

If XML 2 doesn't work, then use Version 1.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:43:31 pm

[walter biscardi] "Yep, should be no problem.

Just have them digitize the media, then export an XML Version 2 and you'll even be able to open that up which will essentially be their entire FCP v.6 project."

A small test would be prudent

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:49:28 pm

[Michael Gissing] "A small test would be prudent"

Yes it would, but we've done this quite a bit here for clients who have older versions of the software. We haven't found an issue yet.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:23:47 am

FCP 6 includes ProRes codecs that don't exist in FCP 5. Make sure that they don't use any ProRes codecs!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]