FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone using eSATA connection on macpro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Anyone using eSATA connection on macpro
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:17:04 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to setup the LaCie big quadra (8TB) on my final cut system.

I had an eSATA card put in...but I can't get the drive to come up. In disk utility it doesn't even come up as a drive attached. If I use Firewire 800 it does...but I'd like the speed from eSATA.

I went through the instructions on the card (HighPoint eSATA controller) and setup the ARRAY through web interface...but it's not coming up on my MacPro.

Any ideas? Do I just have a cheap eSATA controller?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Anyone using eSATA connection on macpro
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:39:32 pm

Install the latest drivers for that eSATA card?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:51:19 pm

Hi Jason,

If you go to the Apple Icon> About This Mac > More Info... you should be able to see your card listed under the PCI Cards menu. If you select it the info pane will tell you whether or not the driver is installed. If it says 'No', you could probably find the driver on the Highpoint support site (or on a CD that came with the card??).
If it says 'Yes' then you have a problem. Could be one of many things, in which case I'd contact Highpoint and Lacie and see what their tech people recommend.

Good luck,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:54:53 pm

Yea...driver installed and updated...still not working.

Just wondering if there was anything special to it. I've never used the eSATA protocol before...so this connection type is new for me.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:12:08 pm

If you are working on Snow Leopard, then many of the eSata drivers are not working yet.
I was fortunate that the GspeedEs drivers were updated for SN and my Raid array finally is working fine again.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:49:13 pm

Still on OSX 10.5.8

Here's a quick question...I'm new to macs and don't understand the OS numbering system.

If Snow Leopard is a new OS, wouldn't it be version 11.

From what I've seen...it seems to be 10.6. Which would indicate to me that it is just an upgrade step in a software's evolution. So is Snow Leopoard just an update to Leopard?

I'm speaking completely out of context because I've only been working on mac's for 3 months.

-Jason

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 19, 2009 at 8:49:55 pm

[Jason Brown] "If Snow Leopard is a new OS, wouldn't it be version 11.
"

No, all of OS X has been a point upgrade.

10.3 was Jaguar. 10.4 was Tiger. 10.5 Leopard, 10.6 Snow Leopard and so on.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:22:32 pm

That's just coming from my Windows background I guess.

What would version 11 constitute? Is that just after 10.9? Or what would constitute a jump to the full number?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2009 at 8:57:13 pm

[Jason Brown] "So is Snow Leopoard just an update to Leopard?"

Who knows how OS people work out the numbering. The common protocol has been that fundamental changes jump whole numbers. Going from OS9 to OS10 was totally a new OS as they went to Unix. Leopard and Snow Leopard are a continuation of that, with Snow leopard dropping support for non intel chip computers and adding 64 bit support.

Then of course there are the marketing people who come up with jazzy names like Tiger and Snow Leopard.

Regarding your problem, there were some fairly recent threads warning of a lack of Snow Leopard support for a particular chip on many esata boards and that there was a lack of drivers.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1051087#1051087

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:20:29 pm

You may want to find out if LaCie of Highpoint even support each other. There are some cards that just don't speak the right eSATA for certain drives. And in other cases, using the card manufactured by the drives OEM will provide features above and beyond other cards. An example would be G-Tech. They have their own drive maintenance/monitoring software that can only be used if you are using their eSATA card with their drives.

That's not to say you can't mix and match, I use both LaCie, G-Tech and Sonnet drives with a Sonnet card. But that doesn't mean they are all interchangeable.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 20, 2009 at 2:27:08 am

Not running Snow Leopard yet (it's sitting on the shelf waiting) but when I changed my eSATA drives over to my MacPro, I not only had to install new drivers but also update the firmware on the card before it worked properly. I'm running Firmtek products. Just a thought.
Tom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:06:02 pm

I got it working this morning...it was strange...

I had to go through a https://localhost/port# to get into a setup menu where I created an array...then was able to restart and it recognized the drive...then I had to create a volume through disk utility.

It worked much differently than the RAID I set up on my PC years ago!

Thanks for everyone's input.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 20, 2009 at 2:29:35 am

I am always amazed at posts like this. I hate Lacie, but I just went to their website, and the CORRECT eSATA card for the Lacie 4big Quadra 8TB is the following-

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11217

and this is the web page for your product from Lacie -
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11264

why did you buy a Highpoint card for this product ? Highpoint makes about 20 different cards. Do you assume that things just plug in and work, so you can go about your life ? Don't you know that you have to sacrifice all good things in life so you may work in the blessed entertainment industry ? So, the moral is, if you don't tell me the exact model # of Highpoint card that you own, I cannot help you any further. And if you answer "well, the salesmen said that the card I got cost less money than the card Lacie said to get", then don't write back.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:09:12 pm

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your input...I have it working and we're moving forward...

The problem is I'm in house of a corporation and my IT guy (who has no video experience) purchased the card...I had no input.

I did ASSUME that the eSATA connection would be compatible with other eSATA connections...I guess I should stop expecting things to work together.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jan 17, 2010 at 8:12:04 pm

Eric,

I'm just into buying a 4-port eSATA for my Mac Pro. I'm choosing between the Sonnet E4P and the Highpoint RocketRaid 2314.

No G-tech SpeedRAID (yet) but might be in the future.

What card do you suggest I buy? The 2314 is somewhat cheaper. Not sure I'll need all that RAID stuff...?

Return to posts index

Eugene Reynolds
on Oct 20, 2009 at 11:37:30 pm

I have just had the exact same experience. Bought a Lacie Rugged XL drive and it was not recognised by my MacPro (through my Highpoint 2314 card). If I connected it by USB all was normal.

On my MacBookPro however, connected with my Lindy Dual Port Express card it worked fine.

I think like you, I was assuming that if I have a working eSata card then plugging in a eSata drive (Not trying to set up a RAID or anything fancy) wouldn't be such a big ask, but I am willing to concede that this might have been naive. Can anyone suggest why?

The primary reason I have the Highpoint card is because it (very successfully) suns my 8 Bay ProAvio RAID. I have given up on the Lacie eSata drive and returned it and will go back to using FW800 for my portable option. Shame because it was nice and fast on my MBPro.

PS I am running 10.5.8 and the Highpoint driver is up to date. I did try Snow Leopard but was getting terrible conflict hell - even with the latest SL compatible driver

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:30:44 am

eSATA, SATA, SAS, ans even old dog SCSI is NOT plug and play.
Everyone says "I just want to plug it in, and have it work - why is all of this so complicated". BECAUSE thats the way it is. Flexible products are COMPLICATED, and require research and study to get it to work - this not only applies to disk drives, but capture cards, and editing software (gee, like FCP - that's why pros don't use iMovie, and even easier applications). When you have products that possibly support port multiplication, or RAID 5 and other configurations, there is STUFF that you have to do - these things just don't plug in and work.

AND THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. With cameras, VTR's, drive arrays, editing software, etc. The minute "little Johnny" can buy his little product from the Apple Store, and make a world class video for major distribution, we are all in trouble. Your genius IT guy should be ashamed of himself for making ANY assumptions - as even a PC Win network guy should know better - I can't wait for him to have to deal with Windows 7 networking - maybe he will wind up on the unemployment line (whaaaa - it's different now, I don't want to learn anything).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:27:01 pm

[Bob Zelin] "The minute "little Johnny" can buy his little product from the Apple Store, and make a world class video for major distribution, we are all in trouble. "

Hey Bob, with all due respect...my brother in law will NEVER be able to replicate what I can. All the technology in the world doesn't make "little Johnny" a good visual storyteller. Timing, clean transitions...arrangement...use of natural sound...tweaking audio levels will ALWAYS be done better by professionals. (just look at the drywall job I did in my kitchen!)

We all (myself included) get hung up on the tech side of what we do...pushing the buttons...but in the end it's about telling a captivating story...whether it's a corporate video...training video...reality show, marketing piece or commercial. - If it ain't good, people won't watch.

I expect technology to work...why? Because I paid close to 15,000 dollars for all the equipment on/under my desk. Sure it's not as much as my AVID Meridien was 12 years ago, but it's still alot of money. I expect things to work...

Mac has always been touted as a *never-fail* *stable* *better than windows* computer system. I just expect more out of a company that I paid 3 times as much money for (vs a comparable PC).

I hope you don't take it personally...I've always appreciated your good insight...I still remember an article you wrote on calibrating a monitor that rocked my world a couple years ago.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:34:27 pm

I ran a speed test, and I'm getting about 2/3 the speed of my internal RAID. Both set @ RAID0

I purchased the LaCie card (2 port) and I'm going to connect it via that way...see if I have better speed. I'll report on this post what I find.

-jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]