FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Manager - organsing back up - bins?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Constable
Media Manager - organsing back up - bins?
on Oct 19, 2009 at 12:29:13 pm

Hi,
Sorry, yet another MM question.
Once I have completed a project, which normally contains both DV footage and Motion graphics from After Effects, and others stills etc, I generally use the copy function in MM to consolidate all my media onto a dvd or external drive, depending on wether I'm likely to come back to it.

Question - is there a way to mirror the bin structure in the Media Managed project that was in my original FCP proj? as it just seems too throw it all into one folder called "Media". Which is a bit messy and makes it hard to find things should you come back to it.

In after effects for instance, when you collect files, all your folders are retained in after effects project. in the collected version, and also reflected in the directory structure of the backup.

Is this something that is in FCP 3?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Media Manager - organsing back up - bins?
on Oct 19, 2009 at 1:45:33 pm

"Is this something that is in FCP 3?"

unfortunately, no.

you either have to re-organise everything on the new drive,
and then spend time re-connecting everything,

or just copy all your media across manually,
but that wont trim it for you,
AND you'd have to do a fair bit of re-connecting anyway.

nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:03:24 pm

This is why it is very wise to start organizing from the start. Put everything in one folder, divided by subfolders. Keep this up during the project. Then backing up is easy.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eugene Constable
on Oct 19, 2009 at 3:35:22 pm

I understand the need to be organised when working in FCP, I find it surprising that MM diregards any bins that you create in your browser, or any folders that you create along side you FCP project file. It sort of throws all your organsation out! Thanks for your help anyway.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 20, 2009 at 6:44:18 pm

[Eugene Constable] "I find it surprising that MM diregards any bins that you create in your browser, or any folders that you create"

MM does not discard or disregard bins that you create in the FCP browser, just the directories you create in the Finder. While this seems a pain, it's really not that big a deal in an archive to have the all the files consolidated into one large directory.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Eugene Constable
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:33:57 pm

Good point!, thanks for your help on this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]