FORUMS: list search recent posts

720 x 480 video clips shown as 16:9 clips in the FINDER

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Murillo
720 x 480 video clips shown as 16:9 clips in the FINDER
on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:46:32 pm

Hello!

I captured some video clips from several minDV cassettes. the video is DV-NTSC, filmed in the 16:9 apect ratio, 720 x 480 with the letterbox.

Apparently, the clips are captured in the right way, but the finder of the MacOSX shows the clips as if they were 16:9 (including the black bars), that means that the video looks squished, even if the info of the aspect ratio is correct: 720 x 480. Quicktime also shows the video distorted.

I open it in Final Cut and the clips seem to be ok, with the correct aspect ratio and the distorsion value on zero.

Even if it don´t seem to cause any problems when working those clips in Final Cut Pro, I don´t understand the reason for this inconsistence.

does anyone have a clue?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: 720 x 480 video clips shown as 16:9 clips in the FINDER
on Oct 17, 2009 at 6:48:47 pm

Why would it looked squashed? It should look letterboxed. You might what mention was OS this is.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Pedro Murillo
on Oct 17, 2009 at 9:00:11 pm

Hello, Tom

that´s exactly the thing, in the finder and on quicktime it looks letterboxed AND squashed. Looks like if the clip was 1280 x 720 or any other widescreen format and also letterboxed within the 16:9 aspect ratio. it never happened before and even when FCP reads those clips properly, it gives me the impression of something being wrong.

thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 18, 2009 at 12:48:03 am

Hello, what's the OS? Why can't you give exact information? What's the FCP version? What's the QT version? Perhaps you can post a screen shot of what you're seeing.

"filmed in the 16:9 apect ratio, 720 x 480 with the letterbox."

Did you really shoot it letterboxed? What capture preset did you use? Please be specific.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Pedro Murillo
on Oct 18, 2009 at 1:19:53 am

ok:

The OS version is 10.5.8

The FCP version is 6.0.6

The QT version is 7.6.4

The capture preset I used is DV-NTSC, DVCPRO.

Here´s a picture of what i´m getting: as you can see the aspect ratio of the preview is distorted (in QT it looks exactly like that, the image looks squashed) but below the thumbnail on the right the dimensions information is 720 x 480.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 18, 2009 at 2:30:43 am

What camera shoots 16:9 DV that's letterboxed? This should be 4:3 letterboxed. Does it look 4:3 in Final Cut? If so that you just have to fix it in the QUickTime movie properties for display in the QT player.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]