FORUMS: list search recent posts

Post-Cropping Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Hall
Post-Cropping Question
on Oct 17, 2009 at 2:36:56 pm

So lets say I have this clip where im cropping my the video to focus on the bottom left corner of the screen. After I crop everything in Image+Wireframe mode to get it exactly how I want it, how do I get rid of all that black excess space from where I cropped the original clip and get what's remaining of the clip to fill out the wireframe so I can treat it like it is it's own clip so I can adjust the aspect ratio and make it fill out the viewing space? Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Post-Cropping Question
on Oct 17, 2009 at 3:40:56 pm

Hey Jeff

You'll need to adjust the Scale and Center parameters accordingly in the Basic Motion control section of the clip instances Motion tab. You can also do this directly in the Canvas window when in Image and Wireframe (or Wireframe only) mode by dragging on the corner control points (to resize) and anywhere within the frame (to re-center)

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeff Hall
on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:00:38 pm

Thanks Andy, but I believe this still doesn't solve my problem unless I appear to be missing something. I'd like my cropped clip to practically become it's own clip with NO excess space in the wireframe. You know how the wireframe will fit the parameters of it's original clip? Well id like that to be so once i've finished cropping that existing clip. This would make it easy for me to adjust the aspect ratio like I would a normal clip to fit my screen. I guess another way to ask the question would be is there any way to adjust the wireframe? To get the corners of the wireframe to fit my cropped clip? Because when I scale and center the wireframe still keeps the size of it's once original clip.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:13:56 pm

Hey Jeff
I guess I'm not really understanding the need to have the wireframe fit the specific cropped clip area but nonetheless, sorry no, I'm not aware of any means to do this beyond perhaps creating a nest of the cropped clip with a custom frame size.

Just a thought ... if your issue with dealing with the cropped image is that subsequent motion adjustments are off center, then it may be that all you need do is re-center the Anchor Point ... change to the distort tool, click on the old anchor point (that would be the center of the pre-cropped image) and drag it to the center of the cropped image area.

Here's an nice tutorial covering aspects of dealing with the anchor point in FCP: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/anchor_point_andrew.html

Good luck
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeff Hall
on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:46:37 pm

Andy,

Thanks again for your suggestions. I believe my hardest struggle with going from Vegas all these years to FCP is that FCP lacks the "Event Pan/Crop" feature that Vegas had. If anyone here knew about this feature in Vegas they would probably understand half of my posts on here relating to croping, scaling, fitting the image just how you wanted by dragging the viewing space itself compared to dragging the handles of the actual clip. To FCP users this may sound backwards but me being a Vegas user FCP seems backwards to me haha. I'm just really struggling with how to get the results I did with Vegas by using FCP. Thanks for your help Andy. I'll read into that tutorial.

Also the reason why I wish the wireframe was adjustable is because once I do get the cropped portion of the clip to fit the viewing space completely once i use the video filter "Widescreen" which I use a lot, it applies it to the wireframe... but if the wireframe is way out of the viewing space then the widescreen effect wont show. My lack of editing vocabulary probably doesn't help my cause either haha :)

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:55:43 pm

Hey Jeff
The "Widescreen" filter is a wast of space :-( IMHO its far better to add your widescreen as a matte on an upper layer. You can do this with a simple matte created in Photoshop, or you can take a Slug (or Solid Color generator) and use FCP's "Mask Shape" filter to cut out the center, or you can crop a couple of Slugs ... or you can download a free Letterbox generator plugin off the web or a matte someone else has created and is sharing online. A couple of minutes on Google will sort you out.
Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeff Hall
on Oct 17, 2009 at 5:15:29 pm

I actually just used one of your submitted letterbox plugins. Works like a charm! Thanks Andy for your support and patience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]