FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP color correcting for DVD ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Timmons
FCP color correcting for DVD ?
on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:59:33 pm

My problem is a major difference in how the DVDs I'm creating look playing on a TV vs a computer screen.

For a good/pretty vivid look on a computer screen, the DVDs I create play on TV/DVD-player setups as extremely saturated/high-contrast (skin tone looks tomato-red). And when I re-color correct to get a decent look for TV, the DVD plays on a computer screen as very desaturated/washed-out.

Any insight into how to get the best look for a DVD that needs to be played on both?

I'm color-correcting in FCP using the video scopes and testing for Chroma & Luma safe. It's HD footage, going to DVD through Compressor/DVD Studio.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: FCP color correcting for DVD ?
on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:10:00 pm

Do you have an external broadcast-quality monitor? It's the only way to know what your program looks like on "TV." Your program will look different on TV monitors compared to computer monitors. To get an identical look you may have to grade two versions - one for computer/web and one for TV. That said, you may be seeing differences exacerbated by how your computer monitor is set up - what gamma selection you're using.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:55:08 pm

Trying to do both will be impossible. They are VERY different technologies. Follow John's advice. Correct on a broadcast monitor, or properly calibrated HDTV so that you know that you are making the picture look like it should. Then the issue is with how people's TVs and computer displays are setup. And all you need to do is walk into Best Buy and look at the wall of TVs to know how different they can look. Same with computer monitors. They are worse about being different than TVs are.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 17, 2009 at 9:00:48 am

And MPEG-2 DVD standard are 100% legal broadcast strict.
Any under 0/over 100% value is clipped.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]