FORUMS: list search recent posts

project archiving question...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Procopio
project archiving question...
on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:21:35 pm

so. once a project is completed....and tape is out the door, we want to archive the project, whittle the media down to only what is needed, plus the render files from the finished sequence...this is for a particular show, and only 1 sequence is the final output....

I used Media Mangler to copy just the clips in the sequence, and included the render files...created a new project, everything worked perfectly...EXCEPT the render files...did I miss something in the media manager window while consolidating the media across? or does it not really work with the render files?

the settings I used were:
copy, include render files
delete unused media from duplicated items, use 1 sec handles
base media on existing file names
duplicate selected items and place in new project
set destination, and named new project...

am I just going to have to re-render things? not all renders didn't copy over though, just some of them...

Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: project archiving question...
on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:41:53 pm

IN my experience you have to re-render. For some reason a majority of the RENDER files won't media manage...which is a pain. SO I tend to media manage WITHOUT them, then re-render. Let it go overnight when I leave or something.

Points again to the poor media management in FCP. FCP 7 is better at this...I have media managed with renders and a good 80% are retained. BUT, at work I use FCP 6.0.5...so I just re-render.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:27:03 pm

great...thanks...but it still takes up less space than the full project...so i'm testing how long the sequence with the 80% renders takes to re-render, compared to the full sequence without renders...is FCP intelligent enough to not re-render the files it has if you tell it to render all?

do you know if it is completely random on which clips it loses the render? I'm going to do the same thing and see if the same clips are lost...there has to be some reason why it is doing it...my initial test projects didn't lose any renders, but they were really small projects...this is an hour show, (well 30 minutes, texted and textless...)

Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2009 at 6:47:55 pm

[Joe Procopio] "s FCP intelligent enough to not re-render the files it has if you tell it to render all? "

Yes. It renders only what is needed.

[Joe Procopio] "do you know if it is completely random on which clips it loses the render?"

Seems random to me. Sometimes I don't lose anything, sometimes I lose 90%...sometimes 60%. But then we are on a SAN, and one that if someone has read/write access to it I can only have READ access. So the renders might not come over due to that. I have no clue. I am not technical enough to know what is going on. Nor do I really care that much. Re-Rendering for me takes 20 min.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:40:48 pm

it's like hours for me...working prores 422HQ....can get it lower by going 8bit on the renders...not a problem...sequence in this case is the 60 minute...2x30min shows texted/textless...but it has a lot of 3rd party effects, at least 2 on every clip...Nattress effects...that probably doesn't help much at all...

i did it twice, and the same media was offline.....on both sequences...had read access only to the original media, i'll try that in R/W and see if that differs...

Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 16, 2009 at 8:42:44 pm

Joe,
my own similar experiences have taught me to leave the render box unchecked in MM every time I archive, and then I re-render overnight. MM simply never copies the renders properly.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]