FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mix 30p video with 23.98 audio: CANON 5D MARK II

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dillon Brown
Mix 30p video with 23.98 audio: CANON 5D MARK II
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:51:38 pm

Hello everyone,

I am at my wit's end trying to figure this out and I am sure there is a solution. Here is the situation:

- we shot an interview with two cameras - one Sony EX1 and one Canon 5D Mark II
- we recorded all the mic audio into the EX1
- the frame rate for the EX1 was recorded at 23.98
- the frame rate for the 5D was 30p (the only frame rate we can record at)
- we have a lot of other source footage acquired at 23.98 and are set at having the entire project timebase be 23.98, as we only have a few interviews (with the EX1 camera as well), shot in 30p

Now, what I am attempting to do is sync the audio from the EX1 to the 5D, even though they are different frame rates. I have tried to use -- method to no avail as the audio is in sync at the beginning of the interview but slowly gets out of sync until it is about a second or two off at the end.

I tried to use the Philip Bloom method of going through Cinema Tools and conforming the clip at a 23.978 timebase, then using Compressor to slow the video down to the originals' total runtime but for some odd reason the audio still won't sync. Perhaps I am doing something wrong in this regard?

I know this is an odd question but any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I suppose we can always sync up the portions of the interviews we actually use so they remain in sync but that will require a ton of work and really, I would like to solve this puzzle. THANKS!

- Dillon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mix 30p video with 23.98 audio: CANON 5D MARK II
on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:30:23 pm

Hmmm.... I'm puzzled why you'd encounter such an impasse at this point in the project.

You certainly must have seen a red flag when you contemplated mixing frame rates, and so you of course ran tests and figured out how to approach this problem BEFORE YOU SHOT.....

.....didn't you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:41:24 pm

I think you will find the problem is due to the fact that the Canon is 30 not 29.97. So when you convert the Canon footage to 23.976 it is .1% slower than the corresponding 'real time' audio and pictures from the EX1

So if you expect to be able to sync two cameras to the one audio, you will always have drift. If you are using the Canon in short shots as a cutaway source, you will hopefully not notice the drift over a shorter shot. Otherwise you will have to slow the audio .1% and sync that to the Canon footage.

Return to posts index

Dillon Brown
on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:20:32 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH MICHAEL!!! This fixed it and the audio is perfectly in sync now!

Changed audio speed to 99.9% and it works perfectly. You saved my day!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:46:51 pm

[Dillon Brown] "You saved my day!"

Just as well I put on a clean superhero costume today.

And don't mind Dave. He hates the Canon camera for some reason.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 16, 2009 at 12:18:01 am

I remember when Dave just used to offer input without a TON of sarcasm...must be from answering the SAME questions over and over! :)

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dillon Brown
on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:04:39 pm

Hey Dave - unfortunately it wasn't my call when we were shooting, I am just the editor on the project... however, I am still doing tests to determine if it is possible to mix 30p video with 23.98 audio. I am sure it is possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]