FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stablizing different cameras footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Ward
Stablizing different cameras footage
on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:36:16 pm

I have some footage from my Panasonic AG-HVX200 (P2) and I also have footage from my Canon VIXIA HV30 (tape). The footage from my Panasonic takes about 5 minutes to stablize and the footage from my Canon takes about 5 hours. Why?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stablizing different cameras footage
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:03:55 pm

The Panasonic footage, while compressed, is compressed frame-by-frame, which makes it easy for stabilization software to compare the current frame to the next frame.

The Canon footage is probably some kind of HDV, which is a long-gop codec. It's temporal, or interframe compression. The footage has keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

As you might guess, that Canon codec makes it awfully tough to compare the current frame to the next frame: it has to rebuild the frames just to make the comparison. This is just one reason why everybody says to convert the footage to Prores as you capture.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:30:35 pm

HDV (Long GOP) vs. DVCProHD perhaps.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:38:07 pm

When using smoothcam to stabilise, it will try to do the whole clip as captured, not just the shot length on screen.

I am guessing it is the clip length that is the problem and nothing to do with codecs. I have smoothcamed HDV before and it is not a five hour job.

Make a quicktime of the shot plus handles and then apply smoothcam to that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]