FORUMS: list search recent posts

exchanging XML files..Need to reconnect files each time...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anastasis lazos
exchanging XML files..Need to reconnect files each time...
on Oct 15, 2009 at 12:46:32 pm

Two of us are working on the same project. I edit, he checks and edits as well...We send XML files to each other over the internet..
Firstly is there a way to be able to exchange XML files without having to reconnect the files each time..?
Secondly some of our footage clips are named eg. 53/1 and when i export a sequence and send it on the other end the slash "/" symbol doesnt appear on the name of the files so reconnecting them needs to be done manually..which is a pain...This doesnt happen if i send him the FCP project file. I.e. files names include the slash "/".

We both have the same folder structure on our external drives and both drives are named the same. FCP still needs to reconnect the files each time and this really slows us down. Any ideas on how to speed this up..? I ve tried XML version 1,2,3,4 with no luck..
We both use FCP 6.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: exchanging XML files..Need to reconnect files each time...
on Oct 15, 2009 at 2:21:57 pm

If the FCP files work fine, why don't you send them instead of XML files? If you zip the .fcp files, they will be about one tenth the size (if file size is a concern).

I guess XML files don't support the slash ("/") character, so it sounds like your only other option would be to rename all the files in both projects that contain this character, which might be a big pain!

As a matter of habit, I use underscores ("_") instead of spaces or slashes (or almost any other symbol, for that matter), because they are less likely to cause problems across various file formats, programs and platforms.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:02:11 pm

Thanks Matt,
Well we use XML files as in this way we can just exchange 1 sequence which can be imported into the existing project..He might be working on some other sequences in his project so sending him my FCP project can mess things up.

What we do right now is copy paste the sequence we want to share into a new FCP project and send that instead. Then he copy pastes the sequence into his project..But still every time we need to reconnect files..And even when we tell FCP to search and reconnect, we still have to point each type of media (video,audio,pics) in its directory for FCP to find the rest...

We did exchange XML files in the past with the slash symbol in clips' names and never had a problem with that...

What i would like to know is if there is a way to use the XML without having to reconnect files..
As said, Folder structure and HD name are the same on both machines..
thanks

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:41:58 pm

Okay, I just had a brainstorm that this may be an issue with the way your hard drive is being mounted. How comfortable are you in using the terminal?

open the terminal and type: "cd /Volumes" (no quotes) then hit "enter"

next, type "ls"

the screen will print out a list of your mounted hard drives. Look for the name of your media drive. See if there is a duplicate entry with something like "-1" attached to the end. If this is the case, it may be that your drive is mounting using the wrong pathname, so the xml is being fooled to look in the wrong place when it loads. eg, "media_drive-1" instead of "media_drive." Most people won't even know this is happening because the HD retains the correct name in the finder. You will only see the problem in the terminal window.

This happens sometimes when a drive doesn't dismount properly (like during a crash), it may not delete it's own entry from the list of devices OSX stores in its system files. When the HD is mounted again, it creates a new name, like "media_drive-1." If this is the case you need to unmount your media drive (and unplug it, if you are paranoid like me), then repeat the terminal commands from above. You will see that there is still a listing for your media drive, even though it isn't connected. This is actually a bogus alias that points to nothing. Delete it by typing:

"rm " followed by enter.

Reconnect your drive and try to import the xml again. If this doesn't work then I'm at a loss!

The only other thing to check would be to have you both export a "good" xml of the same sequence, with all media attached. Open the XML files in text edit and do a search for "." Every clip in the timeline has a "" entry that tells FCP where the media lives. Find the entry for the same clip in each xml and check if there is any difference in the full path name. (Note that the problem I described earlier in this post would make XMLs that exhibit this behaviour). This is a good place to begin looking for problems.

Let me know if this helps at all!

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:07:56 pm

thanks for all that Matt,
I type cd/volumes in terminal and i get a "no such file or directory" response... ?
Its 1am over here so maybe its me doing something stupid!

I ll check our XML files for file paths next time we meet.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:15:43 pm

don't forget to type a space between "cd" and "/Volumes"!

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:52:41 pm

[anastasis lazos] "Secondly some of our footage clips are named eg. 53/1 and when i export a sequence and send it on the other end the slash "/" symbol doesnt appear on the name of the files so reconnecting them needs to be done manually..which is a pain...This doesnt happen if i send him the FCP project file. I.e. files names include the slash "/". "

You should not use slashes in your filenames. They are a no-no with Unix based systems- like Mac OS, and a no-no with Windows, too. While you're at it, you should avoid comas, quotes, apostrophes, tildes, just about any punctuation mark other than a period, a hyphen or an underscore.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Oct 17, 2009 at 5:41:06 pm

As Arnie said: NO slashes in file names EVER.

Anyway XML is a fine way to interchange sequences - if the FCP version is the same. With different versions there are some problems.
To reconnect files automatically you have to have the same file/folder structure on each of the machines.
If you don't have you can use my free xmlReconnect which allows to modify the XML in an easy way and send this XML to FCP. In a collaborative environment were file/folder structure is constant (but different on each machine) you can save the path changes - means once set up just drag the XML to the app, FCP will open and everything is there.

Regards
Andreas

see how it works: http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/xmlReconnect/reconnect.mov
download here: http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/xmlReconnect/xmlReconnect.zip

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]