FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out of Memory Error... FCP 7... project too large?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Dean
Out of Memory Error... FCP 7... project too large?
on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:27:13 am

Hi everyone

Hope y'all can give me some insight on a little problem I and a few other guys are having on a job right now.

We are working from a FCP Server.... a very large project (in terms of amounts of footage... about 10TB)

I am running a MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB DDR3

And the other machine is a desktop with 10GB ram....

we are both getting memory errors when trying to open the project file (which is over 170mb in itself) is this a case of the project having too much stuff inside it.... I would have thought that 10gb ram would let you work up to a point but never cross the line into the ''out of memory'' hole!?!?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Out of Memory Error... FCP 7... project too large?
on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:36:42 am

There's more than one reason this could be happening but here's some thoughts:

That's a really large project file. I'd brake it down a bit. Having open sequences that contain a lot of edits can bring your computer to it's knees. The more sequences you keep the worse this gets too. FCP can only address about 2.7 gigs of RAM in any event.

Photoshop files that contain blank layers can cause this error message all by themselves...

Bad Media files might be at fault. Render files are usually the culprits if this hasn't happened because of a Photoshop file being added to the project file...

But my guts really say your real problem is the size of the project file. One thing you shouldn't do is keep copy upon copy of your sequences. Backup your project files instead. Having a lot of clips usually isn't what makes the project file so large, it's piles of sequences, and text files in them that enlarges them the most. Text generated files are actually stored in the project file itself where media is not...

Jerry

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:02:29 pm

Another thought...

Working with more than about 300-400 edits is really combersome, and takes a lot of RAM up... breaking the sequences down to those sizes or smaller makes things go a lot faster... Then deal with the whole thing in the end.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Joe Hackett
on Jan 3, 2011 at 6:59:36 am

Jerry,
I just deleted my Sequences folder on a feature I am outputting and I can not believe how much smaller it made the project file!
Thanks. I too was getting the out of memory message. I hope this helps

Joe Hackett

Joe Hackett

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:17:18 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] "Having open sequences that contain a lot of edits can bring your computer to it's knees. The more sequences you keep the worse this gets too.

[...]

One thing you shouldn't do is keep copy upon copy of your sequences. Backup your project files instead. Having a lot of clips usually isn't what makes the project file so large, it's piles of sequences, [...]"

Thank you for this, Jerry. You just solved a vexing problem. Closed all the open sequences, and finally rendering a complex project without a hitch.

Return to posts index

Stacy Poulos
on Dec 9, 2014 at 9:35:08 am

I'm working on FCP 7 and having nightmears. It keeps making me reset the scratch dick. Now I decided to drop the project on my hard drive to get it out the door. SO I'm wondering what is it a bout sequences and projects that make them large. I usually make a folder for a section of video, cut it down in it's native format to footage I like, then I copy over the the take I like to another sequence. Are all the other are what is adding up to a projects size? The folder of footage and project is 60 gigs. The sequence / fcp file is only 4.2 MB. So where is the size coming in? I have 5 layers in the final sequence. I understand the more you have the longer it takes to render. I just don't understand what is taking up space? Thank you Stacy

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Mar 22, 2015 at 10:02:26 pm

Hi Jerry - my project is being VERY slow and I only have one sequence, but the file is 70MB and I guess this is due to the amount I have on the time line - most areas are stacked 60 - 99 layers. Could you please tell me as to whether this is causing my machine to be slow (even on the sections of timeline where I don't have layer upon layer)?

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:19:18 pm

I'll also get this message when I have a number of large stills in my timeline that I haven't scaled down.

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index

Henry Truong
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:16:19 am

Just to add to this discussion. I attempted to export a sequence into a QT file for editorial to view. I got that same error message when trying to export out of the master project, even though the first two reels exported with no problems. After coming across this thread, I created an independent project containing only the third reel that was giving me the error. Upon attempting an export out of this new project, I was greeted by the same error message.

This has happened today within the last 20 mins, so I have not yet had a chance to dig into it and see if I can find any ways around it. If anybody has any other ideas, let us hear it. Hopefully somebody has found a resolution, or at least a way to find out what the problem is, because that generic little error message doesn't do much to help the trouble shooting process.

-henry

HD Creative Services
http://www.hdcreativeservices.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Lentini
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:48:34 pm

Go through compressor... takes a bit longer but works.

I have been getting this error a lot lately in my HD projects! Makes me question FCP.

Return to posts index

Stephen Lentini
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:59:09 pm

Go through compressor... takes a bit longer but works.

I have been getting this error a lot lately in my HD projects! Makes me question FCP.

Return to posts index

Andreas Karoliussen
on Dec 4, 2009 at 12:49:05 pm

Hi,
I´v had this same problem with big stills.
My workaround has been to send them to motion, save - and when you switch back it will render without a problem.
then you render a motion project instead.

quick tip is to duplicate your still and hide it on the timeline - just in case of deletion of your new motion projectfile.

Hope this helps you out;-)
best regards Andreas

Return to posts index

Chris Pelser
on Jul 10, 2010 at 3:36:00 am

I have been having this same error in my project now for the past week!!! I'm running a Mac Pro Vers 10.6.4 with 2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel and 8Gb DDR2 Ram. FCP 7.0.2 (using Snowleopard)
My project was a HDV project captured and converted to Apple ProRess 422 HQ 1920 x 1080 29.97.

All editing went well and the final project ended at around 92 minutes. My first attempt to export via Share option failed with some error message. Second attempt to export via QTime also failed with error.
The total render estimated time would be around 4-hours and when it comes down to about 14 minutes the error "Out of Memory" would appear.... damn??? It was so frustrating. I kept changing values & settings and pushed thru. Eventually got some output via Compressor but the picture quality sucked!

Eventually called the Mac tech support line today and they gave me the run around first and insisted on Support ID numbers etc. Eventually spoke to someone that suggested that I check my pictures that they are RGB and NOT CMYK. Well, all my photo's were taken on JPeg and only about 10 used on timeline. I called them back again this time I had an error called "Share Failure" QT Error-50. They could not tell me directly what this was but the guy said there are numerous postings on the internet about the Out of Memory errors and suggest I must check those.

In desperation I nested my entire edit sequence and made a new sequence on the timeline. I then went to export to Quicktime and selected H.264 and gave it the size dimensions of 720 x 486 NTSC and pressed OK. At first time render line started at 3-min then slowly crept up to 7-hours !!! I did think that I was wasting more time on this attempt. However about 4- hours later the render was finished and this time without and error.
I opened the file and it played perfect. I dragged the file into toast and successfully burned my first DVD in almost a week of going between these stupid errors. I hope this might help someone as I felt very helpless knowing I have burned and exported countless files before without having these ERRORS come up. Good Luck !

Return to posts index

Cinnamon Kennedy
on Sep 30, 2010 at 5:38:32 pm

Hi,
I just finished a large project which for a while had chronic "out of memory" problems. I want to offer that what worked for me was switching from Prores to DVCPro HD60. I had a lot of subtitles on this video and for some reason that did not mesh well with the ProRes. The problem was never that I was actually "out of memory" - just something wasn't working right. The switch to DVCPro made the rendering shorter and the exporting much longer, but fcp never crashed, so I could leave it overnight. Hope this helps somebody - it's a frustrating problem!

Cinnamon Kennedy

Return to posts index

Chee-Han Wong
on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:48:22 pm

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to let you know that the following might solve your Out of memory problem.

At the moment I'm editing in FCP 7 and also bumped into this annoying message. So what I've done is make ALL jpeg files into TIFFs and make them exactly the same width as my sequence (for me this was 1920 hd, apple pro res). Also used only same compressions.

I found out that FCP doesn't work well at all with photoshop files, h264 footage, jpegs etc. You really have to convert them into the right fcp-huggable format before putting them in your sequence. If you do continu using these different files on 1 sequence, you will most likely have export and glitch problems.

Good luck.

Freelance FCP and Avid Editor
Amsterdam

Return to posts index

Matthew Marchesi
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:32:15 am

I'm using FCP 7 on Lion (without the support updates) and I've been getting the same error message too.

I'm not using stills of any kind and I only had one sequence in the project.

The one comment that was helpful was the comment was Chee-Han Wong's comment about FCP not liking H.264 format. All of my screenshot video's are in that format.

However, I do not think that was the entire problem, and I think some of it is related to the render files, which I've been having a lot of problems with anyway.

My fix was:

- I deleted the render files
- I copied everything in the timeline over to a new sequence
- I started adding more videos to the timeline
- I have rendered the new videos
- I have not rendered all the previous edits

Everything seems to be working alright now. I will continue to edit until I'm finished (or run out of memory again). I'll post back with any more problems.

~Matt

Return to posts index

Ville Tanttu
on Dec 3, 2010 at 8:15:26 am

hello

Try This: to change 64 bit to 32 bit.
FCP is 32 app, so all these kind of super random bugs seem to appear with new systems...
This really improved performance in my system - and the same kind of problem as u have disappeared- with similar Mac setup.

I hope this cures it:

all the best

To temporarily switch the kernel:
On bootup, hold down the "3" and "2" keys to switch to the 32-bit kernel. The system will continue run in this mode until the system is rebooted, reverting back to 64-bit kernel. Inversely, holding down the "6" and "4" keys upon bootup will force the 64-bit kernel to load.

"To persistently toggle your Mac Pro to the 32-bit kernel follow the steps below.
NOTE: These scripts toggle the nvram, and the changes require authentication. You must have a password on your system, blank passwords will not be accepted.

To switch to the 32 bit kernel, download and unzip the attached file and run the switchto32bit.command file.
To switch back to the 64 bit kernel, run the switchto64bit.command file, also included in the attached zip file."

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=375771

Return to posts index

Carol Phiniotis
on Jun 11, 2011 at 7:05:19 pm

I just wanted to share that this thread helped me solve a major headache. I was getting the same Out of Memory error from FCP 7 and couldn't render. I tried flattening my photoshop images, but that didn't work. I tried removing my photoshop images, that didn't work. But when I removed the right .jpg, my problem was solved. It was all due to one image that FCP really didn't like. I checked the image and it was RGB, but it was also huge at 7200x7200. I resized it to 1800x1800, dropped it back in FCP and it rendered. Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 11, 2011 at 7:24:34 pm

[Carol Phiniotis] " It was all due to one image that FCP really didn't like. I checked the image and it was RGB, but it was also huge at 7200x7200. I resized it to 1800x1800, dropped it back in FCP and it rendered. "

FCP currently has a maximum pixel dimension that cannot exceed 4000 pixels wide, which is essentially a 4K image. So, that's why that issue arose. Now you know, whenever importing images or video part of your job as the editor is to check every file before you import it.

Here in Los Angeles, a simple miscue like that could conceivably ruin a career, because it could throw off an entire post-production schedule and thus cause a missed release date.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

John Hadwin
on Jul 17, 2011 at 6:38:00 am

Well, you heard it here first. The inadequacies of Final Cut Pro can easily get you fired in L.A.

Why we haven't fired Final Cut for their software's amazing ability to replace productivity with completely useless error messages (with no solution but to hit okay and pray for different results) is beyond me. The software is supposed to bend around my project; I shouldn't have to bend my art-form around their software. It's plain and simple! My computer is a beast and memory WILL NEVER be an issue. But I get this Out of Memory Error instead of an error that tells me all the speculative things I have to come here and find out. All of the people here simply want to know what final cut has a problem with now! Why is FCP holding my project hostage this time!?

The answer to the customers' problem is never, "We're working on a solution to that." It's, "Well, good luck with that. Maybe you can figure out an annoying work-around that still doesn't actually accomplish what you're envisioning. I'm sure there's some way you can change your proven workflow to accommodate our software engineering problems." Apple is taking advantage of my loyalty as a customer and has no loyalty to customers who encounter problems with their products. Their solution is to get more desirable customers, with more conventional non-complicated edits. Fine! The first chance I get, I'm taking my business where my productivity won't be a daily crap shoot and my education always insufficient.

I simply cannot afford to continue begging Apple to do common sense things! Like (1) taking everyday SLR images of any size and working with them in an HD project without freaking out, (2) using audio that isn't originally 48 freakin' kHz and not screwing it up, (3) supporting me on something other than iTunes Sales until my expensive post production problem has been solved, (4) actually responding to the MANY complaints of thousands of potential Avid Media Composer customers (5) giving me assurances that when I upgrade to FCPX these problems will actually be solved (6) producing accurate error messages that mean something when I screw something up.

Or start by fixing 3-4 version old problems like jittery, embarrassing movement with keyframing FCP's motion tab's position property if using anything but even integers (odd and floating point numbers cause the problem). Fix it! How about checking my activity monitor to see that CompressorJobController and CompressorTranscoder aren't responding and I can't even type this stinking post in real time because of them. Go ahead and reformat your machine with a fresh install and you'll find the problem repeats itself with no word or fix from Apple. But guess what! 2 years later, "You can now buy Final Cut 10! This time, if you buy it, we promise we'll support the problems you're having until they're fixed!"

I can't imagine staking my career on a complete new build with all the unforeseen problems on top of all the problems Apple doesn't care I'm having on any previous version, RIGHT NOW! No pro will switch any time soon for that reason. So while all the amateurs are screaming "it's awesome, there's no problem here", with their simple little iMovie type projects for the car dealer in town, when we switch we would still be the first to test it with our "weird" and complex projects and find out our needs still aren't met. Perhaps the new price is achieved by all the money saved from not supporting previous versions. If I'm going to have to learn a new build, why not learn the competitor's build, whoever has real customer service!

If I gave such poor responses to my customers, they would certainly fire me; especially with my competitor right down the road! But to do business with Apple, by continuing with FCP, I will have to make up for their lack of response to their customer (me) and my customers too.

Screw this! I'll buy my iTunes from Apple, but I'm done buying problems for my post workflow. I want solutions that allow me to be artistic, not a technical Unix wizard. I want something that allows me to take control of my vision and my art comes out the other end; not some goofy hybrid squeezed through the FCP play-doh art factory.

Very sincerely,

John Hadwin

Return to posts index

Diana Cadavid
on Jul 19, 2011 at 6:22:11 pm

Can't agree more.

Return to posts index

Nacho Barros
on Oct 23, 2011 at 1:36:00 pm

Hi all.
I have read this forum and still the problems remain.
I'm working on a Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz and 12 GB of Ram
Although it is well that the machine is not top of the line I think is not a bad computer.
I'm working on a project that meets a variety of formats, the main material recorded with Cannon D7, my sequence is set will the Apple Pro Ress ..... 23.98 fps 1920x1080 HQ
The sequence is 70 min, I have divided the sequence into smaller sequences of 7 min or so to avoid having too many cuts, however, and once I unified the formats that are not Apple Pro Res to this ... that is the h-264, DV, MP4 etc. and also decrease the size of the photos ..... 1800P is sending me the damn error.
I lost too much time trying to find a logical way that allows me to work and give my client work and also agreed time I run out of solutions.
I read that duplicate sequences is not good, you do not know, but each sequence is a sequence dieferente finally to rest and do it that way to optimize my work ... but I still have the error.
By now I can not know what else to do to fix the problem ....
I hope I can make a contribution because they do not know what else to do.
I think I have done t
If there are problems with writing is because I am from Chile and management to improve your English.

Return to posts index

Arbel Vaknin
on Nov 22, 2011 at 7:52:35 am

Hi, after remaining with only one sequence in the file, and now it weights less then 9 MB I finally realized that text even though created in final cut, was the only reason I couldn't render my sequence made of RED materials.
and I have a very nice machine, but also not the state of the art.

Return to posts index

Aashish (Ash) Shah
on Jan 6, 2012 at 4:05:27 am

Hi Chris Pelser,

I am having exact same problem as you mentioned in your post, and I'm following your advice and doing how you suggested, but I didn't understand the photograph part, I'm working on a Documentary so I have a lot of jpeg photos and lot of texts, Do I need to convert my jpegs?

Thanks,
- Ash

Return to posts index

Chris Pelser
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:31:34 am

I would try to convert the photo images to smaller file sizes. Keep in mind that the DPI setting is much less required for video edit. Doing this your file sizes will be reduced and it should work better.
You have to watch the Photoshop type files as they can slow down things a lot.

Hope this helps?

Chris

Return to posts index

chandra sekhara azad patibandla
on Jan 21, 2012 at 6:21:02 am

hi Ash

I use to have the same problem while working with documentary films.you can use jpegs.If you decrease the quality of the images you can solve the problem.no need of converting you files.

Azad.Patibandla

Return to posts index

John Perrault
on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:17:25 am

There is no reason why I should get an out of memory error when the project that I'm working on is only 35 seconds long. No complex edits, no extra sequences, and not a lot of footage, but when I click on a clip to preview it, it won't pull up the clip and says out of memory. Any suggestions before I throw my computer through the wall and switch to Avid, not like I can get a job only using FCP anyways.

Return to posts index

Brien Longobardi
on Feb 13, 2012 at 7:49:39 pm

hey guys I have had the same problem in the past working with large amount of footage in different formats and a ton of pix, First FCP can not handle PSD files Motion Files and large reso on pix. Also if you are going to another app for onlining for color like DaVinci, Color etc you need to flatten al the pix, motion effects, speed fx, Freeze Frames, Motion files because none of these apps can import/ read them. So my advice is once you have the pix, effects the way you want export a Apple ProRes 422HQ file of each indi section of pictures and FX areas and slap in the timeline it will make the system run faster and will also help you get the project ready for on lining. The problem lies in FCP architect it saves render titles etc to the project file which. I have had project files 500 mb. Currently I'm editing a Doc with 300 hours of footage and 7,000 pictures and my project file is 253mb. So what I just did was break the project into 2 acts and those 2 acts into 2 parts + 4 parts so I can edit faster and move around but also keeping a master project. Its a pain in the balls but I do not see any other way around it. After this project I will be switching back to Avid, I never ran into these problems because Avid saves each bin in its on separate folder which in turn keeps the project file smaller also if you have corruption it only corrupts that bin instead of the whole project.
Brien
Editior / director

Return to posts index

Lewis Stiefel
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:21:21 pm

Hello to all you frustrated FCP7 editors. I to have suffered through the maddening out of memory
error.... even after pairing down my project to a single sequence!! There is a simple solution that
seems to have worked after trying everything else mentioned in other posts. Here it is...go to your
sequence setting then go to video processing change whatever setting you have...may have to use
trial and error but this has worked for me.

Return to posts index

Dave Skinner
on Feb 22, 2014 at 1:11:41 pm

I was having this problem on a short and basic edit with no photo files.

Changing the video processing options in the Sequence settings resolved the issue!

Nice and easy.

Return to posts index

Rajesh Barnabas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 9:21:49 pm

I think the overall consensus here is that you have to break it into chunks. Render parts of it, rather than the entire sequence timeline. Render All won't work. Not a tidy solution. This worked for me.

Return to posts index

Rajesh Barnabas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 9:27:40 pm

Also courtesy of another creative cow thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1027544

If you are bringing in PNGs, or Photoshop Docs, with transparency, that may be throwing things off. You need to put the MODIFY>Alpha Type > Straight to the those individual stills.

Return to posts index

Edwin Adkins
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:00:23 am

Just adding my experience to the (growing) list:

I have a fairly long (one hour) sequence with lots of motion and color correction. But towards the end of the sequence, where I had a combination of "bloom" effects and some single color frames (essentially slugs, but white) I started to see problems with output. I got the same error maybe 9 times "Out of Memory", so I pared down the project file as much as I could and removed all still images I could. But it still didn't work. Only once, on about the tenth output failure, did I get an error that actually explained a bit about what was happening, and it was worded something like "the effect Bloom failed to render your hardware cannot render at the requested size and depth". I was surprised to get an error that actually seemed useful. I made some other small changes in the sequence, and it returned to giving the "out of memory" error. But at least by that time I had enough of a clue of what to change. I adjusted the video processing settings to 8 bit (down from 10 bit) and it seems to be working (a few test runs including the bloom effect sections worked, and I'm now 4 hours into an output that shows no errors yet).

basically, working through a few different remedies given in this thread, the one that seemed to work for my situation was the change in video processing. I am a bit concerned that the resulting video output will be degraded to some degree, but the test runs didn't show that much difference between 8 and 10 bit YUV.

I've spent a few days on this particular problem -- not a tragedy, but I have better ways to use my time. Although I'm not sure this is an FCP bug, I'm not sure what else to call it: I add effects to clips in layers, and the computer gives no warnings that anything is wrong... until I try to output and then I get a simple and mysterious failure. by the stage my only remedy is to crawl the forums and hope for the best. It would have been nice to get more instructive error messages along the way.

most important, as this and other threads have emphasized, I can't help but feel that FCP itself is really imperiling my workflow. Luckily, I'm not under a strict deadline right now, but I could have been. Regardless, I can't really trouble shoot this for weeks on end.

I know all software has issues, but I've had many of these with FCP, and I have 95% decided to shift totally to Premiere (bought the software, and started doing simple projects with it). My experience with FCP has been frustrating. I admit I have older hardware, but it's not bad, and the demands I'm putting on it don't seem excessive.

From what I've seen of both Final Cut Pro 7, and now Final Cut X, it seems appropriate that they've simply dropped the "pro" from the name entirely, and are aiming for a rather different user base... They may be happy to leave users like me behind, and I'll be happy to leave final cut behind.

Return to posts index

Rich Morrant
on Sep 14, 2013 at 5:57:21 am

Hi All

I also found that if you go into Tools---> Render Manager and look at the lists, sometimes you will find a large render 'cache' you msy not need. I had one over 94GB!!! Just check the 'remove' column and hey presto - it frees up render memory space. ***all in layman's terms***

Return to posts index

Lisa Runge Faubert
on Sep 27, 2014 at 10:41:27 am

Bless you Rich...I've been trying literally everything as suggested and nothing was working. Have a 2 hour project that has been rendered and rendered over and over...been editing for years and never knew about the GD Render Manager! Ugh, X is soooo much easier to deal with on matters like these! In any case deleted 50 GB of render files and suddenly I can export again! Thank you so much. :)

Return to posts index

Gabrielle Mitchell
on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:13:20 am

For anyone else having this issue lately, the easiest solution for me was to make a Duplicate sequence and change the "Sequence Settings". In the box under "Quicktime Video Settings" change the "Compressor" for your sequence to anything else...mine was in an HDV setting, and I changed it to .H264. Feel free to change it to your codec of choice, but .H264 allowed me to view the sequence and render the project. Within my sequence was 2.5 hours of full HD footage, and it took about 2 hours to render with the .H264 codec. I hope this helps someone just looking for a straightforward solution. Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Inka Stafrace
on Aug 3, 2016 at 9:58:38 am

I found this thread very helpful so I thought I would add what has worked for me. It is in line with all of teh above but there was an odd start to it

To start with the entire sequence was rendered ... except for a photoshop file bit.
But I thought the issue was plug in I had just put in so I uninstalled it and still no love.
Then I decreased the size of the project by 50% - from 110MB to 56MB - still no love
Then I went into render manaager and deleted all my render files and when I went to re render - No love!! This was scary. Then **I took baby steps and rendered bit by bit***
Eventually I found the culprit. A different photoshop image from the one that I could not render initially.....The different on had rendered before but was now stopping stopping the system?
So I have skipped it. Am still rendering the entire sequence (10 minutes) and I thought I would write while I wait. I am confident I will find a work around for the culprit.

Take from the above what you will !

Thank you Creative Cow.

Apple Mac Pro First generation (11GB ram)
FCP 7

http://www.pollytikkle.com
Film maker
inka stafrace

Return to posts index

Eurion Smith
on Dec 11, 2016 at 4:36:23 pm

Hi,

I am having the same problem, I have some footage from a Phantom 4 that I need to render with a 00:00:01:00 fade at the end.

Details:

Footage length: 00:04:56:07
Resolution& Codec: 3840 x 2160 H.264 .MOV
Scratch Disk: 2TB External Harddrive (300GB+ Free)

Apple Mac Mini 10.10.3 (2011)
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Any Help would be appreciated, thank you.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 14, 2016 at 1:52:27 am

Someone suggested changing the timeline to H.264 and I see that's what yours in. That could be your problem right there. Change your timeline to ProRes 422 (dupe your sequence if it makes you feel better), render everything, then try.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Daniela Zappa
on Dec 18, 2016 at 4:15:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help?? Ive been working on a project as was due to export for the deadline yesterday, and I've been getting exactly the same message much to my panic and frustration!!

I'm working on an iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3 in FCP7, the project file is only 2.9mb but the capture scratch files are around 50gb, will this be affected if saved onto an external hard drive? I have 1TB storage on my external hard drive, the project file only contains one still image after the project started messing up after importing png files with a blank layer so that i could layer it over footage for the client.

All png files deleted and now it will export onto the external hard drive, it refuses to render anything giving me this error message and without render can not further edit anything!! At my wits end, please can anyone help?

Ive looked through this thread and have also deleted all render files in render manager to free up some space, tried exporting the drone files so everything matches the sequence settings (apple prores422, 1440x1080, 25fps).

If this is not rectified and I cannot provide the client with my finished edit I am going to be fired, extremely stressful with 6 days till Christmas!!

Will appreciate any comments or suggestions, thank you in advance...

Return to posts index

Dave Farrants
on Dec 18, 2016 at 5:27:20 pm

One of the main reasons FCP memory errors occur is you have an image in the timeline that is over 4000 pixels - check your image file sizes.

Web - http://www.foxvideo.co.uk
Blog - http://foxvidpro.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to posts index

Dave Farrants
on Dec 18, 2016 at 5:42:14 pm

One 'trick' I've used when this occurs is to render each clip (or small section) individually to find the one clip (or clips) causing the problem.

Web - http://www.foxvideo.co.uk
Blog - http://foxvidpro.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to posts index

Gavin Turnbull
on Feb 1, 2017 at 11:13:29 am

Hi All,

This is indeed an annoying issue, I have posted about this before, but not sure where, but here is my experience again - with additional notes.

The common or regular issue is when there are still images on the time line, I use PNG as it handles transparency best, Jpeg and possibly TIFF can be used. The main thing to be aware of is make sure it's 72dpi and as close to the final size you require on the time line, keep file sizes to a minimum.

I have found deleting render files, in particular 'Constant Frames' out of your scratch folder helps, I've done this in conjunction with restarting FCP7 as I suspect it will also clear out any bugs in the cache. You could try just deleting the 'Constant Frames' without a reboot of FCP7?

In general, keep your project small, work on 1 project/timeline at once, keep files small, and use 72dpi images. This is not necessarily part of this issue but make sure all you video files match in codec and also match your timeline settings.

Hope this helps,
Gavin (http://www.gtmp.tv)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]