FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way converting 1080p to 576i

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dovydas Vilkelis
best way converting 1080p to 576i
on Oct 14, 2009 at 8:10:00 pm

Hi,

I just finished editing video in DVC Pro HD 1080p and would like down convert it to DV 576i. What's the best way to do that?

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: best way converting 1080p to 576i
on Oct 14, 2009 at 8:24:42 pm

Compressor.

Or, if you have a hardware video card that downconverts, like the BM or Kona cards, you could use that - assuming you have a DV deck with an SDI input (a iittle less likely).

You will find all the scaling and quality options you want in Compressor.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Dovydas Vilkelis
on Oct 14, 2009 at 8:28:15 pm

But what about transferring progressive to interlace? Does compressor do a good job?

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Oct 14, 2009 at 9:31:00 pm

If the source is progressive, Compressor will create interlaced video with two identical fields for each original progressive frame, each with half the vertical resolution. As such, the video will not 'look' interlaced, as it lacks the temporal information you would need to achieve this. This may be a problem if you are trying to blend 1080p with existing interlaced footage. You may want to make an 'artistic' decision to de-interlace any 576i footage you have to match with it.

You may well get aliasing with any downconversion of this type - caused by the detail in the original. You will find settings in Compressor to alleviate some of these issues - but it's inevitable to some extent. Test your own presets in Compressor on short sections of the original - the correct settings will vary depending on the source material. Be grateful you're not going the other way - upconverting and going to progressive.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]