FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stereo Tracks don't Sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew King
Stereo Tracks don't Sync
on Oct 14, 2009 at 5:30:27 pm

Hi,

I am currently syncing sound on a short film that was shot a few weeks ago now. When sound was recorded on a mono track, the sound and the footage sync up just fine, no problems at all; however, when I have stereo tracks (they are stereo because they recorded sound with a Boom microphone AND a wireless lav microphone) the sound and the footage don't sync up. I am syncing sound with the slate, but when I get to some dialogue, the sound isn't in sync. I have tried with other stereo and mono tracks and I get the same issue with the stereo tracks.

Does anyone know if it was a problem with they recorded sound? Or am I just missing something?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stereo Tracks don't Sync
on Oct 14, 2009 at 6:42:27 pm

Can you tell us HOW this extra sound was recorded, or are we to assume a miracle occurred and the audio magically showed up in your FCP bin?

Don't spare the details.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Oct 14, 2009 at 8:33:35 pm

Don't have a solution to the sync issue (maybe a delay in the wireless sender, or a location mixer, or the audio delay caused by a boom situated some distance away - although I've never seen any of this occur) but if you have sound from a boom and a lav, surely it isn't stereo - it's dual mono. If you capture it as such, you can slip the sound in sync. If you have accidentally linked it as stereo on capture, then un-link it (Alt-L I think) and slip one track to fix the issue. You will also have to set the pans back as appropriate.

Hope that helps.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Matthew King
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:55:41 pm

I might have spoken too soon when I the mono tracks where synced and the stereo couldn't. We had shot on 2 cameras and only 1 of the cameras syncs well with the sound, and the other camera can't seem to keep up with the sound. I've been trying to convert the video or audio to different speeds, but no luck yet. We believe the one camera was shooting at a different frame rate because it had a VSU attached to it, but the camera team says it was set to 24fps.

And it was recorded on a TASCAM HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]