FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP - Compressor - DVD SP 16:9 Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bark
FCP - Compressor - DVD SP 16:9 Problem
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:36:17 am

I edited a sequence in Final Cut Pro and it looks the way it's supposed to - aspect ratio wise. (16:9)

I chose export with Compressor, using a 90 minute, best quality, 2-pass setting. That automatically chose 16:9 as the aspect ratio in the Inspector, and I couldn't change it if I wanted to. (I'm assuming it read the sequence and applied the correct aspect ratio.) I started to get nervous, though, when the Compressor preview was displaying the video in 4:3.

I went ahead and submitted it, anyways, then imported my audio and video into DVD Studio Pro. My pref's there were set to 16:9, and so I just threw the files onto a track and burned a test disc. Now, I've got a 4:3 television. I thought that a 16:9 DVD would play 16:9 on my TV, and have letterboxing at the top and bottom, but it plays 4:3 and the video is squished!

It plays 4:3 on my Mac, too, so there's a big problem - not to mention the video quality isn't so hot.

I'm obviously missing a vital step here, (or two) but I can't figure it out, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: FCP - Compressor - DVD SP 16:9 Problem
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:46:54 am

You can always change the Automatic settings, you just need to click the gear to the right first. Normally I don't let anything go auto, but that is me. You do want them to 16:9.

If DVDSP you need to make sure that the video is correctly flagged as 16:9 in the inspector it needs to be set as 16:9 letterboxed. The preference setting is how it will encode QT files not how it will display m2v files.

From what you describe the video is flagged as 4:3.

As for quality I have posted guidelines mostly in the DVDSP forum so you can do a search over there if you like.

Return to posts index

David Bark
Re: FCP - Compressor - DVD SP 16:9 Problem
on Oct 14, 2009 at 4:11:15 am

Thanks Michael.

It looks like both the menu and the track were set to 16:9 letterbox in the DVDSP Inspector.

I'll definitely check your posts for info on quality.

In the Compressor Inspector, when I choose Best Quality, 2 Pass - those settings are locked down, grayed out, can't touch 'em. (But the aspect ratio is set to 16:9)

Anyway, I'm gonna try this again, and see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]