FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Share blowing up when using a cluster

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Devino
FCP 7 Share blowing up when using a cluster
on Oct 14, 2009 at 12:20:57 am

I'm working on FCP7, newest version of leopard (not snow), and an 8-core 3.2GHz w/8GB RAM. I have a 45 minute sequence that is unrendered and I want to make a DVD of it. I tried using both "Share" and "send to compressor", and I have a Quick Cluster setup with Qmaster. Every time I send my sequence and submit the batch I get an error in about half of the cores Qmaster is sending information to. It says something along the lines of "Final Cut pro has generated an error or has crashed". I tried to setup a 8 instance cluster and a 4 instance cluster and they both failed. Has anyone had luck using a cluster to render when sending from the timeline (instead of dropping a quicktime movie into compressor) or does it still not work? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: FCP 7 Share blowing up when using a cluster
on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:09:34 am

Exporting from FCP directly to compressor is never a good way to go.

Export a reference file and then bring that into compressor.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:33:14 am

I never used to because it never worked in FCP 6. Apple made a big deal about being able to use "Share" as a way to compress a timeline and even if it wasn't rendered first by using a Qmaster cluster. It's one of the main features in FCP 7 they are advertising as a reason to upgrade. If it worked it should be a lot faster than having to render my timeline and creating an uncontained quicktime then dropping that into compressor since I would be using all 8 cores of my machine to do the rendering and compressing.

So. Does it work or not? If it does work how do I make mine work?

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:43:50 pm

This is a known bug that Apple stated when FCS3 was released. Read the docs listed on your install disks and this will confirm your issue.

Qmaster has always been somewhat of a thorn in our sides since day one. But with tweaking, it does work.

As for what you are doing... The only way to compress using Qmaster is to export your sequence as a full Quicktime, not reference video, and import into Compressor.

OR

Do as you are doing except do not use Qmaster, just set Compressor to use your computer only. A 45 min program should take you about 20 min or so to compress and write to DVD.

Let this be a lesson... Sometimes marketing and software design do not go hand-in-hand when it comes to actual working features. This is ALWAYS true for ANY software that you have seen or bought. Am I right?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:39:05 pm

Thanks for the info, and yes you are right nothing ever works the way they say it does.

On a side note reference quicktimes have always worked for me when I need to compress something using Qmaster, saves a lot of time compared to exporting a full size quicktime especially when it's a full show.

Thanks for your help it's appreciated.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:37:01 pm

[Matt Devino] "On a side note reference quicktimes have always worked for me when I need to compress something using Qmaster, saves a lot of time compared to exporting a full size quicktime especially when it's a full show. "

Normally, you're right but sometimes things happen to software that make us pull our hair out and have to do more steps than necessary to get the job done.

Sometimes upgrade and updates are a step in the wrong direction... You know, fix one, break two...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Olivier Aubut
on Oct 14, 2009 at 5:58:07 pm

Hey Matt
Do you use "back to my mac"?
I was having problems creating a Quickcluster until I disabled "back to my mac" in the mobile me system preferences. You might need to reboot.

I know it sounds crazy but it did the trick for me, although I was using FCS2.
Olivier

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Oct 14, 2009 at 6:44:49 pm

Thanks for the idea but I don't even have my work station connected to the Internet it have mobile me installed on it. My quickcluster works fine when sending a QuickTime file to it from compressor, but it doesn't work when sending a timeline from FCP. As Wayne pointed out even though apple advertises this as a new feature it still doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Dec 8, 2010 at 6:12:52 am

Hey Matt,

Thanks for making this thread. I too was all excited about the big marketing hype from Apple about being able to send stuff to compressor from within FCP. FOr some reason I thought that included using Quickclusters. I just tried various forms of "send to" and share with no cigar. So maybe this will help some more people searching for stuff like this. It is good to at least know that I have to do the old export reference movie and back into compressor.

Elijah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]