FORUMS: list search recent posts

frame rate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate O'Brien
frame rate
on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:57:39 am

I am trying to fix a project shot on a PD150 that has been rejected for broadcast as it is too jittery - when checking the clips appear to be 12.5 fps (it's 25fps PAL) as in each frame is repeated twice like a step frame effect.

Looking around it seems it may have been shot in progressive scan mode. Is there any way to recapture and fix this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: frame rate
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:03:18 pm

I suspect that the mistake made initially is the same one you're thinking about now. The PD150 does not have a real progressive mode, only simulated. So, the material should be captured and edited using the standard PAL DV presets. It was most likely either incorrectly captured or poorly deinterlaced.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:11:46 pm

Ah, looks like it was shot with the lovely old Sony's "24p" mode, which just doubled frames. Recapturing will not fix this...this is how it was shot. That image is recorded on the tape.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:54:32 pm

Yes, It's possible the issue is purely from the phoney cinema mode (or whatever Sony calls it), but I suspect it may have been captured improperly or deinterlaced because someone didn't know that mode is not really progressive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Kate O'Brien
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:42:06 pm

wow thanks so much for the quick replies.

I am getting the Mini DV tape this morning to check it.

If I am going to try and recapture what settings should I use to attempt a better result? Kate

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 13, 2009 at 10:00:28 pm

As I told you in my first post, if it's PAL use the standard PAL DV 48hz capture preset. If it's anamorphic (widescreen) don't forget to check that box.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]