FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple cohabitating versions of FCS?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff York
Multiple cohabitating versions of FCS?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:19:53 am

I was wondering if anyone had any success (or even a reason) for having 2 different versions of FCS existing on the same machine. I'm currently running Snow Leopard and FCS3, but today I was contacted by a client for a new project. The trick of the project is my final deliverable needs to include project files that he will be able to open on his system on which he's running FCS1.

Normally, I'd just groan a little and wipe the system clean installing FCS1 (which I also have in house), but concurrently I'm editing a long form project and I've already started it in FCS3.

Short of buying another system, which I can't, any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeff York
Re: Multiple cohabitating versions of FCS?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:22:32 am

Just read the thread from yesterday in which someone suggest cloning. Haven't done that before, but I guess that might be my best solution. If anyone has another suggestion, I'm all ears!!!!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:41:04 am

Clone your system to an inexpensive firewire drive. That makes a bootable clone. Now, get FCP Remover from Digital Rebellion (it's free), and remove FCS from the firewire drive. Now, boot to that drive and install FCS1 on the firewire drive. When working on the client's project you boot to the firewire drive, and when working on the other project you boot to the system drive. Pretty simple stuff...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Oct 13, 2009 at 6:06:39 pm

Yes you can have multiple versions of FCP on one system.

Rename the old version before installing the newer copy.
You will also have to go through the system profiling process when going between copies.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]