FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade to FCP 7 and keep FCP 6?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Freedman
Upgrade to FCP 7 and keep FCP 6?
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:45:46 pm

I'm guessing the answer is probably no, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to upgrade to FCP 7 and keep 6 on my system. So I'll be able to have both version on the same computer.

I need to keep 6 on my computer because we haven't upgraded to 7 at my job yet. I have also undertaken a film on the side that needs me to use 7.

I'd like to find a solution that doesn't involve just upgrading to 7. Then having to go back and forth with .edl & .xml files with projects that need to be finished in FCP 6.

Any ideas are welcomed and much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Upgrade to FCP 7 and keep FCP 6?
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:57:30 pm

Well with pro apps you would not want to instal the new version on top of the old anyway. And trying to have both on the same os can be problimatic.

Get another hard drive install a clean OS an then I stall the new FCS onto the new drive.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:46:30 am

Clone your current system hard drive and as mentioned above, upgrade to the new FCS on the new hard drive. When you need to use FCP 6, boot from the cloned hard drive.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:56:56 am

[Steve Eisen] "Clone your current system hard drive and as mentioned above, upgrade to the new FCS on the new hard drive. "

Just like when you move to a new OS it is recommended to start clean and not "upgrade", I recommend the same thing when moving to a new version of FCS.

Installing a new version of FCS on top of the old one can lead to problems.

I always say start fresh,

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Justin Freedman
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:21:41 am

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I new there must be a work around, never thought of cloning! Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dana Strom
on Nov 24, 2009 at 7:00:15 pm

I'm in almost the same boat except; I have a PowerPC G5 with FCS 2 and an Intel MacBook Pro with FCS 2. Since my G5 is capped at FCS2 because it's not an Intel, my only current upgrade option is the MacBook.

I need to upgrade ASAP, but need the freedom to share some projects between the two machines. Also, I do a lot of on site work with different clients who use both versions.

I do have a 500 GB internal drive in my MacBook w/ plenty of space and I was wondering if anybody had any experience or insight to partitioning my existing system drive to create a new bootable volume...? If someone can create a Windows partition with Boot Camp, why not a new Snow Leopard partition?

I'm pretty sure that creating a boot disk out of a FireWire hard drive isn't a good idea overall - specifically for a laptop setup... right? Can't imagine accidentally disconnecting your system drive isn't a big problem.

Any insight whatsoever is appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]