FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP asking for Serial Number AFTER i've installed new HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nigel clarke
FCP asking for Serial Number AFTER i've installed new HD
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:08:27 am

Hope someone can help.

I've installed a new larger internal HD, time machined everything, and all is well except FCP is asking me to enter my serial number. I've tried the serial number in different ways (with spaces, hypen, etc) but nothing I'm told the serial number is not valid!!! Of course it is. After 3 attempts I'm told to do one.

Anybody had problems with this before. Is it time machine, is it coincidental that I've installed a new HD? Is it do with the organization name??

Any ideas welcome.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: FCP asking for Serial Number AFTER i've installed new HD
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:49:15 am

If you used Time Machine to restore an old hard drive to the new one, this does not work properly with the ProApps. I ran into the same issue when I tried to do that.

Best to re-install all the ProApps from scratch with a new HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

nigel clarke
on Oct 12, 2009 at 3:57:17 pm

Thanks a million Walter.

As I've got a hefty 500GB drive, could I uninstall all my pro apps, and partition the drive (there's 300GB free) and re install the pro apps on that drive???

Or would I need to start from scratch, which would not be fun.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 12, 2009 at 5:04:31 pm

[nigel clarke] "As I've got a hefty 500GB drive, could I uninstall all my pro apps, and partition the drive (there's 300GB free) and re install the pro apps on that drive???"

No need to do that at all.

I am assuming that you still have the old system drive that you replaced with the new one. Boot from that drive and use carbon copy cloner to clone it to your new drive.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

nigel clarke
on Oct 12, 2009 at 5:41:55 pm

Thanks for replying Zane, but wont I have the same issues as I did when I cloned it with time machine?? As in it won't bring the serial number info with it??

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 12, 2009 at 6:08:10 pm

[nigel clarke] "wont I have the same issues as I did when I cloned it with time machine?? As in it won't bring the serial number info with it??"

No. That's why we all make clones instead of doing backups with ordinary backup apps or Time Machine. Just make a clone and boot to the clone to see what we mean. Macs boot to any connected system drive be it firewire or SATA, but not USB. Try it, and then fire up FCP and you'll see it's a whole different deal than your Time Machine backup.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 12, 2009 at 6:18:48 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Macs boot to any connected system drive be it firewire or SATA, but not USB."

Actually intel macs can boot from USB, I've even seen it done from a USB Flash Drive.

Nigel I think you need to better understand what exactly time machine does and how it differs from a clone.

A clone is exactly that a clone, same in every way. What time machine does is copy the user data and the applications onto the time machine hard drive it does not copy all the system files. The reason your computer was asking for the serial number was because the file that contains the serial number is kept in those system files that time machine does not copy.

Return to posts index

nigel clarke
on Oct 12, 2009 at 6:51:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your time. Unfortunately, I bought a USB case for my old int HD and now use it for my tunes, so I don't have my old system anymore, only the time machined copy, so I'm unable to clone anything.

Could I partition a section of my current 500gb int drive and reinstall FCP, without having to wipe the entire drive? If I can't do that, I think it's the end of road jack :-(

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 12, 2009 at 6:57:31 pm

Nigel,

Go get yourself a 300Gb bare drive for $50 and stick it in a $29 firewire enclosure.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 12, 2009 at 6:59:01 pm

[nigel clarke] "Could I partition a section of my current 500gb int drive and reinstall FCP, without having to wipe the entire drive? If I can't do that, I think it's the end of road jack :-( "

NOPE partitioning will erase EVERYTHING on the drive.

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
Before you go to a lot of trouble....
on Oct 12, 2009 at 8:26:26 pm

try just deleting the "System ID" first.

With FCp closed, delete "/Library/Application Support/ProApps/Final Cut Studio System ID"

You will then be prompted to enter all your info again when you restart FCP.

Give it try before doing anything time consuming.

Return to posts index

nigel clarke
Re: Before you go to a lot of trouble....
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:00:42 pm

Ahh, one more thing guys, this may be part of the problem with apple. I remember that Apple offered an upgrade to Final Cut Pro 5.1 from a previous non Intel/Leopard incompatible version of their Pro apps.

It was an online upgrade purchased through the online Apple Store. If I remember correctly, I had to return the previous software media, before they would send out the 5.1 upgrade pack.

So even if I deleted the ID file, I'm dubious whether the serial no I have will work, as it was an upgrade??? hmmm, the plot thickens!!

Thanks again for everyones help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]