FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any way to un-PAL a PAL tape in FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Any way to un-PAL a PAL tape in FCP?
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:03:52 pm

I have a DVCProHD tape that was shot in PAL format, I have been trying to figure out a way to use my FCP system to cross-convert this to American format, but I see no preference setups for DVCproPAL HD, only some PAL DV or PAL SDTV setups and an anamorphic PAL setup. None of these responded when I tried them thru "log and capture" on a free-running play-out of the deck and the camera.

I have a shoebox panny HD deck here, but it doesn't seem to be able to read anything but snow. The Panny 900 camera that shot the tape can play a center-cut PAL SD out the rear BNC spigot, we have one format-agile monitor here that sees we indeed have pretty pictures, however it doesn't actually convert or output NTSC of them.

I can't seem to get the IO or the deck in loop-thru to see a workable picture from the camera or deck, but I may be doing it wrong, this is untested territory for me.

I tried imovie HD using the firewire port on the camera, no dice, while it knew the make of the camera that was connected, it also just gave me colored snow... it has no HD PAL setups either.

Outside of sending the tape to someone with a PAL capable deck to transfer it for me, is there anythning else I should try on my current system, and would the newest version of FCS have anything that would help me?

My current system:
Mac Pro with two 3x3GHZ Quad-core Intel processors,
32 gb of 800 mhz DDR 2 FB-DRAM

Graphics: Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 with 1536 mb VRAM
2 cinema display HD monitors 1920 x 1200 displays

SATA RAID: Hitachi drivesm HFS+ Sonnet tempo SATA EXP IDE COntroller

Aja IO model 0x1, 400 mb/sec max.
Software vers. OX2, OX22, OX 11, OX24

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Any way to un-PAL a PAL tape in FCP?
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:27:37 pm

[Mark Suszko] "but I see no preference setups for DVCproPAL HD"

DVCPRO HD 720p25, 720p50...1080i25, 1080i50. Those are your PAL DVCPRO HD settings.

[Mark Suszko] "I tried imovie HD using the firewire port on the camera, no dice"

Correct, because iMovie doesn't support DVCPRO HD.

[Mark Suszko] "Outside of sending the tape to someone with a PAL capable deck to transfer it for me, is there anythning else I should try on my current system, and would the newest version of FCS have anything that would help me? "

Bottom line...FCP cannot do ANYTHING to the tape until it is captured. It can't alter it before it gets it. You need to get a deck or camera that plays PAL DVCPRO HD...pure and simple. Either rent a deck, or take it some place. But, doesn't the 1400 do PAL and NTSC? Or am I wrong?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:30:01 pm

Do you have a 1400 and was the footage shot on a Varicam?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:55:51 pm

Shot on a Pany 900, my deck is the Panny HD1400

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:56:58 pm

If you have a solution using that deck, I will name my next kid after you.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 8, 2009 at 10:01:33 pm

So that camera shoots 50p, so you need to put the deck in the 50i/25p mode which should be on the sys freq menu. Also, take the tape out when changing the sys freq.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 8, 2009 at 10:09:19 pm

I'm going to try this in the morning, Jeremy Sr., and thanks for the quick response, now I won't have to kick the dog when I get home tonight.

Will report back results on Friday. Any other tips still very welcome.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 9, 2009 at 8:53:24 pm

I owe Jeremy a lunch or dinner at Superdawg, Uno, Trader Vics or Hala Kahiki whenever we can get together in Chicago. After about three hours of menu-poking combos on the deck, outboard monitor, and final cut, we have success: footage is loading in right now, the rest as they say is left as an exercise for the reader.

What if the next kid is a girl? Jeremy Jr. will be a difficult name to live with for her... maybe the lunch or dinner will suffice?

Have a happy weekend, now I know I will.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]