FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stop motion frame rates & fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Odell
Stop motion frame rates & fcp
on Oct 8, 2009 at 1:30:16 am

hi there,

i'm working on a stop frame animation using stop motion pro. the image sequences have been captured at varying frame rates - 24fps, 12fps, 15fps.

we've now exported the sequences to Apple pro res 422 using QT. all the sequences were exported at the current frame rate.

the sequences have been taken into fcp to edit. everything looks fine in fcp but i wondered if the varying frame rates are going to cause any problems further down the line - when we export the final movie or during the transfer to tape?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stop motion frame rates & fcp
on Oct 8, 2009 at 3:53:51 pm

[Anna Odell] "i'm working on a stop frame animation using stop motion pro. the image sequences have been captured at varying frame rates - 24fps, 12fps, 15fps.... i wondered if the varying frame rates are going to cause any problems further down the line -when we export the final movie or during the transfer to tape? "

It would be interesting to know what your final frame rate needs to be: PAL's 25fps or NTSC's 29.97 fps. Or if you're working in SD or HD.

Oh, well, I don't know many people who would have have done it like that, but it doesn't matter much now -- if it looks okay to you, then knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:40:42 pm

You're going to have numerous problems, I think. I'm wondering why or how you thought you could get away with shooting still frame animation at different frame rates.
An object that is designed to use one second of screen time to move across the screen will do so in one second regardless of the number of frames you shot to do the move. If you shot too many frames, you wasted your time because the frames are going to be discarded. If you didn't shoot enough frames, the object will complete its move earlier than planned. You can't just apply a speed adjustment and make the clip longer.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Anna Odell
on Oct 9, 2009 at 8:42:55 am

hi dave,

thanks for your reply.

the final output is PAL's 25fps, HD.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 9, 2009 at 3:15:01 pm

Like Bogie says, you could have troubles a-plenty. You've already discovered that you have to render every time you make a change in the timeline. That's because you're mixing frame rates, which probably will influence the look of the motion.

I'll simply reiterate what I said earlier: if it looks okay to you, go for it. If it doesn't, it's time for Plan B, which involves a re-evaluation of how you shot the animation, importing a whole bunch of stills, and trimming each still to get the look you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:00:06 pm

To Illustrate the problems that can occur when mixing frame rates, grab four pieces of paper, a pencil and a ruler:
  • Make a 12 cm-long line on each paper
  • Divide the first line into 25 equal parts, the second into 24 equal parts, the third into 12 equal parts, and the fourth into 15 equal parts.
  • Compare the divisions on the first line with the other three

You can now easily see how mixing frame rates will eventually affect the look in your 25fps edit timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Antoine Rocha
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:40:57 pm

Hi I'm having a heart attack.
I need to send a client this 1 minute animation, which I made in AE CS3,
exported as a (.mov) and placed it FCpro to match real time audio and some time issues in the animation. I started to cut the video and speeding up and slowing down some parts of it, directly in the edition. But at the third time that I rendered, the cursor (in a MAC) start to look like its freezing and a message appear, something like that I have to turn off the "unlimited RT" and some other issues. First of all "what a hell is that" to me it seams that is a memory issue, but I have enough resources, that the video is there but with no image or preview, now I can't see anything, the render it won't work. I restart FC and the machine "3 times and nothing!!" and when I try to exported and error occurred.

I create a new project from scratch and rename the mov file and it seems to work, but when I tried to render for the first time the same thing happened AGAIN!!

HELP!!!!

I have tree dedicated hard drives with enough space, and a decent ram.
Is the first time that something like this happened!!!!

The video size is 3.5 gigs, but I don't thing that is an issue...

Please I need some advise I need to finish this video ASAP.

THXS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]