FORUMS: list search recent posts

LaCie drive won't mount

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lin Brummett
LaCie drive won't mount
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:47:49 pm

I have just encountered a problem getting a LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ to mount on any system in our facility. The drive will only show up in the system profiler as an unknown device. I have tried different cables, different ports, different power supplies, different computers and positioning my eyes and legs differently while doing all these things only to be met with the same result. It sounds like the drive is spinning up when powered on but again won't mount.

The drive was backed up immediately after all our footage was captured but over the course of the edit process (on several different systems) more ancillary footage and elements were added to the drive and the problem occurred just as I was preparing to update the backup.

The drive is under warranty but LaCie says "data will not be returned" and to contact Drive Savers for that process. I am good with this solution if there is not some other step(s) I can take to get this thing working long enough to get my prized materials off before sending it in for warranty repair.

Anyone else been successful working around this issue?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Lin Brummett

Mac Pro OS X 10..5.5
2 x 3GHz Quad Core Xeon
16 GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM
FCP Studio 6.0.4

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
Re: LaCie drive won't mount
on Oct 6, 2009 at 9:09:40 pm

We have 4 LaCie drives which have this sort of problem intermittently. It's very frustrating and because of it we won't be buying any more LaCie drives. The problem we've found has been most often relegated to the Power Supplies. If you notice, they probably hiss when plugged in. With ours, the hissing has gotten worse over the months until the drives no longer show up in finder. They spin up and sound like the heads are accessing content, but it never shows up.

Basically the only solutions we've found are to either replace the Power Supply (works in most cases) or show a little TLC. Our best TLC solution has been to turn on the drive an allow it to get to it's "stopping point" where it's not making any more progress. Then quickly turn the drive off and on again while it's still spinning. Sometimes it takes multiple tries to get this to work, but it eventually does.

We're in the process of moving all our assets off of those LaCie drives to a NAS Archive and then we'll likely dismantle the LaCie's and use the bare drives as hot-swaps in our Server storage. I really don't think it's the drive, but likely the controllers or the Power Supply in all those cases.

Regardless, best of luck retrieving your data.

P.S. I'm assuming you've already tried disc recovery software? Software will likely recover your assets as long as the drives themselves are not physically damaged. I don't have any personal recommendations, but perhaps others do. The fact that you can see it in the System Profiler leads me to believe it should be recoverable somehow on your own without dropping a ton of money on a professional clean-room service.

Return to posts index

Deborah Fryer
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:14:12 pm

I have all my media on a LaCie 4-big 6T drive. It has been working fine for the past 9 months - and several projects. Yesterday, it wouldn't mount. I have tried plugging it into different outlets, and it still won't mount. I have tried plugging it into my laptop, and it still won't mount. All the media is on a Raid 5, so there is redundant backup for a Hardware failure. I'm told by LaCie that what I'm seeing is a Software failure/corruption.

I ran Data Rescue - no luck. I'm running a beta version now of the next version of Data Rescue... holding my breath for the next 36 hours to see if that might work.

I have been told that the directory is corrupt, so that names of the source files are not recoverable. I might be able to recover the clips themselves, but the recovery software renames them 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. That's not very helpful when final cut asks me to reconnect the media and all the source clip names are gone...

Any suggestions on how to get my media back? Any other data recovery apps to try?

I have a time machine running 24/7 backing up my tower, which is where the project file is. I had the 6T raid set up to store the media in 3 of the sectors and create a redundant backup in the 4th sector, so I thought I had my bases covered. What to do now?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Deborah

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 6, 2009 at 9:12:48 pm

[Lin Brummett] "I have tried different cables, different ports, different power supplies, different computers"

The best way to fry a drive is to use different power supplies. The manufacturers supplied power supply is the one to use. I get annoyed when people send me two drives that are different capacity and the power supplies are bundled together so I can't tell which one belongs to the drive.

When you get your repaired drive back, label it and the power supply and threaten death to anyone who uses the wrong one.

Return to posts index

Lin Brummett
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:44:44 pm

This is my first experience with this type of drive failure so in answer to Christopher: I haven't tried any of the disk recovery software since the Mac only sees it as an unknown device. While I know it would benefit me sometime down the road I'm not sure I want to invest in something that I wouldn't directly benefit from this time around. A friend just recommended Disk Warrior so I now have an inquiry into that manufactuer to see if it might possibly work.

We have three different types of drives in house, GRaid, Big Disk Extreme+ and Big Disk Quadra. Each variety uses a different power supply with the two LaCies having different ends, the GRaid uses the same 4 pin connector as the problem drive but the supply is physically different. All of our Big Disk Extreme+ drives are about the same vintage so I have been using LaCie branded power supplies with the 4 pin connector though I admit to not checking specific voltages. I just made a quick run through the pile and all appear to have the same specs. so I hope things have been kosher there.

Lin Brummett

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:22:53 am

The following might sound quite extreme for most and I am suggesting this only if nothing else works.
First, is there more than one physical drive in that problematic LaCie case? If not, then open it, take the drive out, stick it in to Your Mac tower as b-, c- or d-drive (not a, thats a mac system drive!) and power up Your Mac. If drive is ok, it should mount normally to Your Desktop.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:49:22 am

Open the Disk Utility and see if the disk shows up.
If is grayed try to clicking the "Mounting Point" that you see in this pic::

If it mounts, back up all the stuff in another driver and reformat the LaCie.
If it doesn't works you may try DataRescueII or FileSalvage. Really easy to use.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Lin Brummett
on Oct 8, 2009 at 3:07:27 pm

Thanks guys for all the input. I have been away on other projects but am now back. The drive won't show up at all in Disk Utility so I can't move forward there. I think my next step will be to try a data rescue program and if that doesn't work, toss a coin between voiding a couple warranties and pulling the drives out of the case and mounting it in another case or spending the big bucks with a data recovery service.

Lin

Return to posts index

wayne dupuis
on Oct 8, 2009 at 4:59:04 pm

Shut down your mac. Shut down the Lacie drive, and turn it's power button off. Unplug the power cord from your Mac. You will hear a click, after which you can plug the cable back in to the back of your Mac. Power up the Lacie. Power up your Mac. You should see the Lacie. Do not eject the Lacie before shutting down your Mac, but rather Shut down then turn off the drive. This should solve the issue.

Wayne Dupuis
MultiMedia Tech
VIHA

Return to posts index

Lin Brummett
on Oct 8, 2009 at 6:28:59 pm

Swing and a miss. I actually tried it several times with no LaCie love.
I just talked to another friend and I think since the drives are still spinning we are going to swap the drives into another LaCie case and see if that works. He claims he had a similar problem and doing the swap allowed him to salvage the media. This is probably what the clean room guys do for quadruple the cost of a replacement drive. I will just be sure to vacuum up all my scattered sunflower seed shells before proceeding.

Return to posts index

Deborah Fryer
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:37:52 pm

Did that work? I am in the same boat as you were and wonder what the fix was. I tried Data Rescue. No dice. I'm running the Beta version now to see if that helps... I've seen recommendations for Disk Warrior, Data Rescuell and File Salvage, but haven't tried any of them yet.., Please let me know if you found a workaround.

I kept the project files on my tower and just the media on the LaCie, so I guess worst case scenario is I could rebuild the project from scratch, and reingest all the media, but that doesn't help me recreate all the stills, archival footage, and music that were on the drive as part of the various projects...

Thanks for your advice!
Deborah

Return to posts index

Lin Brummett
on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:26:56 pm

It did not work. I was hoping it was a damaged controller but I had the same problem in the new case. I ended up just sending the drive into LaCie for a warranty replacement but no salvage.

FYI, prior to pulling drives out of their cases and doing the swap I got the blessing from LaCie support to do so and maintain my warranties on the drives. They did stipulate that the case I swapped into was the identical model and I had to provide serial numbers to verify.

While I had the drives out of their cases I connected each drive individually to an external case just to see if the computer would recognize each drive. It saw one but not the other. At that point I threw in the towel, buttoned everything back up and sent the bad unit in. I didn't expect to recover anything from either drive since they are stripped together but I wanted to exhaust all hope of an affordable recovery before admitting defeat.

Fortunately I did have all my media backed up so all I had to do was spend a day finding all my still images, graphic elements, etc. that were were in various file cabinets around the office. These weren't backed up because i was accumulating them as I worked on the project with the plan of backing the rest up at the end. I was able to retrieve my timeline from the autosave vault on a different drive.

I wish I had good news for you but not in this case. Sorry.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:54:06 pm

I came across this post as I'm searching...because I have a 6TB LaCie 4big Quadra that won't mount the volume on it as well.

I have it setup in RAID5...so I could lose 1 drive and still retain the data. This isn't my primary media drive...it was my time machine backup, but I did have some files that I put on it that I don't have anywhere else.

I open Disk Utility on my mac, and I can see the drive connected...and even the volume I can see (but it is greyed out) and when I try to mount, it gives me an error message. I've tried hooking it up USB and eSATA, both give me the same experience.

Any ideas? Am I hosed?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Sep 30, 2010 at 2:45:55 pm

I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been covered, but I've had lots of issues with Lacie external drives and found that the issue was more often than not related to the power supply ... have you tried switching out the power cable/pack with the one from one of your other Lacie drives or buying another from Lacie?

By the way, that issue was so frequent with Lacie drives for me that I won't buy them anymore and now only use external drives that use a standard power supply/cable like these:
http://maxxdigital.com/shop/index.php?cPath=152&osCsid=0abbb662e5887f464183...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:01:54 pm

Hi Jason,
No idea, but I would try to run DataRescue or FileSalvage (free demos) to see if is able to retrieve the files.
Those applications (normally) can read the HD even if its doesn't mounts.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:05:23 pm

I commented earlier in this thread some months ago and as a follow up we ended up asking LaCie for 6 new power supplies which they sent us free of charge. They simply asked for the serial numbers on the drives. I doubt that any were still under warranty. We just told them that the drives were not mounting and it was a result of the Power Supply. Ours were hissing btw, which was a tell-tale sign of failure.

Since we've had the new power supplies we haven't had any problems with the drives spinning up or mounting. My bet would be that you're in the same situation considering you can see them in disk utility but can't mount them. Either try a new(er) PSU from another LaCie to test or just ask LaCie for a new PSU.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: LaCie drive won't mount (Disk Warrior worked)
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:25:37 pm

I don't have any comparable power supplies to test, but I thought that might be the issue...based on all the posts I was reading.

Since this initial post, I've had some luck.

I really have no explanation, because I ran disk warrior...and I wasn't able to run any diagnostics on the drive in DW - it said there was a hardware failure.

I pulled out, and put back in one of the drives in the unit, and re-plugged the USB cable. DW was then able to do a directory rebuild. It found many errors...I saved the log. And I now have a properly mounted and working drive.

I'm over LaCie...their support sucks, and apparently so do their drives. What should be my next purchase? I've looked at MaxxDigital...also CalDigit...are there better RAID5 solutions? what is BEST in reliability?

-Jason

Return to posts index

deborah fryer
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:31:15 pm

Glad DW worked for you. I agree, LaCie support is REALLY BAD. I'd like to know what other recommend, too, because these drives are NOT RELIABLE.

Return to posts index

Lin Brummett
on Sep 30, 2010 at 7:20:42 pm

We have had mixed luck with LaCie support but the reliability and performance of the drives seem to keep declining. We started with GRaid, started using LaCie because of cost but after a number of failures are now solidly back in the GRaid camp. I get the feeling that the LaCie model is quantity over quality, sell 'em cheap and replace the whole thing if it breaks, it's the user's problem if they didn't have the foresight to back up their stuff minutes before the failure occurred.

We have 40 plus GRaids and with the exception of some fan problems on the first few we purchased they have been problem free.

BTW, I was the one who relayed to Deborah the drive in the freezer trick and it did once work for us, but that was in a time and place long ago and not with a LaCie drive.

Glad you got your problem resolved.

Lin Brummett

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 30, 2010 at 8:44:52 pm

I don't see that any of the G-Tech drives have LAN support? Is that common? Is SAS a better connection to share in a workgroup?

I have about 3 machines I'd love to have all be able to access the same media.

-Jason

Return to posts index

deborah fryer
on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:14:16 pm

Lin, I'm sorry I forgot it was you who suggested the freezer trick. I read so many posts, and was so bummed about losing all that media, that I just spaced on where I heard what. Please forgive!
Cheers,
Deborah

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Sep 30, 2010 at 8:53:03 pm

I have a colleague who is an A/V guy and he swear by the Drobo units they use at his studio. I don't recall if they're the Pro or Elite models, but if you're the type that buys bare drives for a local NAS or consistently buying external drives this may be a good solution as you don't need to have matching drives for the Raid.

As I haven't personally used one myself in a studio environment I can't personally recommend it, but like I mentioned my colleague swears by it.

Return to posts index

deborah fryer
on Sep 30, 2010 at 5:19:57 pm

Hi Jason,
Sorry to hear that. I went through every data rescue trick I could think of - Tech Tool Pro, Disk Warrior, using different cables, I even (with LaCie's permission) tried swapping out the drives one at a time to see if I could tell which drive was the bad one. I tried opening the drive from the terminal window. I had no luck with any of it.

I had my time machine backed up on a separate drive, and my project files and autosave files on my tower, so I just lost a ton of media (which took about 2 weeks to re-ingest), but not the project files themselves.

LaCie swore up and down that the issue had nothing to do with their drive or their power supply, i.e., that what I was experiencing was not a hardware failure, but was the result of some software corruption that had made the directory inaccessible. They couldn't explain how the software corruption might have happened other than the usual - I must have turned off the drive before unmounting it, I must have knocked the power supply, there was a surge in my line, etc. (none of which happened).

In the end, I was able to retrieve nothing. LaCie offered to sell me a replacement 6T big drive for about $800 (they gave me some loyalty discount), and they also ended up replacing the old drive with a new one for free, so they are trying to make good on their drives failing for no apparent reason.

I googled around everywhere looking for help when this happened to me, and someone somewhere posted that sticking the drive in the freezer in a plastic bag had freed up whatever was stuck. I didn't try this myself, so can't verify if it would help or not. I bet if you googled freezer hard drive failure, you'll find the post.

Good luck!

Best,
Deborah
http://www.lilafilms.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:41:38 am

Hi Jason,
Lucky you that DW worked.
I think there is nothing wrong with the LaCie HDs, but the stinky power supply.
Rafael.

Return to posts index

emily Laurence
on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:18:54 pm

This situation generally occurs due to corruption or damage of hard drive. for that Data Rescue can be a complete software for Lacie Drive recovery. This Software not only provide solution for deleted or lost data but also is eligible to recover all formatted, or virated data from the Lacie hard drive in systematic manner.

Return to posts index

Simon Claile
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:49:47 am

Turn the computer off without the external hard drive being plugged in.
plug the external hard drive in a usb port, power up, the systems post boot up will find the drive and inform windows what hardware is installed.
When windows boots up, it will look at all the hardware and find the external hard drive, when windows finishes booting up you should be able to see the drive in my computer.

La vita è bella.

Return to posts index

Mark Dowsett
on Jun 17, 2013 at 9:11:06 pm

Well, what goes around, comes around. Its 2013 and still similar problems. My LaCie Big2 with Thunderbolt interface is a year old. Running off early 2011 17 in MBP through the Thunderbolt monitor. Rate of warnings about illegal unmounting of drive has increased over the last 6 months. Problem started with Lion, got worse (adventitiously) with Mountain Lion, seemed associated with sleep at first, then more random, but occasionally the drive also took a long time to mount from boot up (with big flashing blue light). Then, suddenly, it would not mount at all. A look at the power supply (hints earlier in this thread, thanks) showed that although it was still regulating at 12 V, the output impedance was way too high to deliver the 4 A needed to spin up the drives, but just enough to make the big blue light on the front flash on and off. The supply was also making a ticking sound. I replaced it with 12 V supply from RS (188-769, £24 in UK money) but I had to swap the connectors. Note, the supply needs to deliver at least 4 A and the centre pin on the connector is +ve. It's now up and running, so I suspect that the supply has been failing intermittently, and not delivering the power needed to spin up the discs. So, if anyone else still encounters this type of problem, I recommend having the supply tested, not just for output volts, but to see if the voltage drops on load. I'll let you know if the fix fails in the next few weeks ...

Return to posts index

Mark Dowsett
on Jul 14, 2013 at 8:35:35 pm

I said I would report on the result of changing the external power supply for my unreliable LaCie drive. It's entirely positive - the drive stays mounted - not a single problem in 4 weeks. So, the conclusion has to be that this fairly pricey unit which should be ultra reliable, has a nasty cheap power supply which lets it down.

Return to posts index

samuel marks
on May 27, 2015 at 5:53:15 am

The lacie drive is not mounting on the Mac may be because it is not connected well or it has gone corrupted. You can try to use the disk utility to fix it and if the tool is not helpful then format the drive. You can get back the data using a recovery tool. You can get more information at : http://www.macfixz.com/mac-lacie-drive-not-mounting-get-corrupted-deleted-m...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]