FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wierd Render and playback issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Rouleau
Wierd Render and playback issues
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:05:53 pm

Hey guys,

I've been trying to solve this one for 2 days now. I've imported clips that we're sent to me via harddrive into FCP. The software reads the footage as HDV 1080i60 (1440x1080). Seems pretty normal, I've edited a ton of stuff in that format.

My Project uses the same settings. However, whenever I'm not playing back any video on my timeline, the preview screen is white. If I press playback, no problem I see the video just fine. If I stop it again, White preview screen...

At first I figured it was just some stupid glitch and kept on editing my entire project.

Now my BIG problem is this : If I try to render out my edit with ANY type of effects (filters, transitions, etc) Whatever clip that has an effect applied to it comes out as a white screen in my final output.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any solutions?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Wierd Render and playback issues
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:21:21 pm

A white screen is an indicator that you lack the codec for the footage you imported. I'd start by investigating the footage you received.

It almost sounds like it was captured in some sort of Windows editing application, using some sort of HDV codec unknown in Mac -land.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Rouleau
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:33:19 pm

Thats what I thought at first as well, but why would I be able to playback the clips if that was the case?

If I preview the clips straight from the Finder, there's no white screen problem. It only happens in FCP.

If I put the clips on a Premiere CS4 timeline, I get a yellowbar above the clip. There are no white screens, but I do get alot of video stutter when I try to play the clip.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 6, 2009 at 7:29:12 pm

[Jason Rouleau] "Thats what I thought at first as well, but why would I be able to playback the clips if that was the case? "

Perhaps you recently migrated to Snow Leopard, so you're using the QT X viewer to look at the clips, but FCP's still using QT 7.x?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jason Rouleau
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:10:47 pm

actually Im using Tiger

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:23:00 pm

Okay, then open up one of these clips in the viewer -- where you can see the video -- and see what the codec is.

Or try the usual litany of steps -- trash preferences, repair permissions, yadda, yadda, yadda....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 7, 2009 at 12:51:12 pm

Dave is likely right on this one. HDV in FCP land is propietary and so if you did not capture it in FCP, that may be why you're having problems in FCP.

assuming it's a .mov file, you might want to right click on it and look at the inspector properties to see if you can determine a little more about the flavor of HDV you may have.

As for Premiere Pro, if you're getting stuttering on the playback, it's likely that your sequence is a mismatch (maybe it's XDCAM EX for example) or your system isn't handling the media very well. If you want, you can put Premiere Pro in a desktop mode and that will allow you to edit any codec that a Mac sees.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

Return to posts index

Jason Rouleau
on Oct 7, 2009 at 6:10:15 pm

Actually I figured out a solution.

I found out the original clips we're captured in FCP 5 and I am using FCP 6...

Anyhow, what I did is I went to EXPORT ----> QUICKTIME MOVIE and exported my sequence as an HDV 1080i60 file.

For some magical reason it worked. Before I was using the Quicktime Conversion menu to try and export my sequence and thats when I encountered the problem.

I still haven't figured out why the problem was occuring, but at least I found a solution.

Thanks guys for the help, it was really appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]