FORUMS: list search recent posts

how can I check a frame fate of an aiff file?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
victoria plummer
how can I check a frame fate of an aiff file?
on Oct 5, 2009 at 8:20:44 pm

I keep importing an audio file and it comes in at 29.97. However the project I am working on is in 25 fps and all my other audio files are coming in at 25. How can I check the frame rate before I import it to see if it is at 25 or 29.97? Quicktime and itunes don't seem to give that info. Plus the file is playing fine without rendering - I didn't notice it until everything was out of sync.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: how can I check a frame fate of an aiff file?
on Oct 5, 2009 at 9:41:23 pm

What easy setup are you using? Change it to a 29.97fps preset.

Where are you seeing this frame rate? Audio does not have frame rates by sample rates.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 5, 2009 at 10:05:51 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "What easy setup are you using? Change it to a 29.97fps preset."

? She is editing @ 25 fps.

FCP seems to be somehow trying to ID audio with a frame rate. There have been a lot of posts about sync drift on imported wav files since Vers 6. Audio really only has a sample rate but with broadcast wav it is possible to timecode stamp the metadata with frame rate info. FCP however seems to be trying to flag a frame rate in plain old wav files. This is the first time I have heard of it with an aif.

Once FCP gets it wrong it doesn't matter how many times you import that file. Somewhere the system has guessed and stored info on that file which is wrong. I would suggest that you delete the file from your FCP system. With the original file, rename it and then copy it onto your FCP computer and then try importing it again into your 25fps sequence.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 5, 2009 at 10:15:37 pm

Sorry, meant to say change the easy setup from 29.97 to 25. The preferences are probably set to the default.

Is Victoria using broadcast WAV files? She's asking about AIFF, but you're probably right. It probably is that and not AIFF.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 5, 2009 at 10:50:34 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "but you're probably right. It probably is that and not AIFF."

I have been telling people to use aif so if it is and FCP has got it wrong, then it is a worry. I see no point in FCP being smart about flagging a frame rate for an audio file. If it is a broadcast wav, it is told what the rate is. If it is guessing on wavs & aifs, then I wish it wouldn't.

Return to posts index

victoria plummer
on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:28:25 am

thanks for the responses. It is definitely an aif file and all the settings are set to 25 fps, but I will try copying and renaming the file then re-importing it. I won't be working on this project again til Wednesday, but I will give you an update.

The only way I finally figured out it was at a different rate was when I was going through it frame by frame trying to sync it and I noticed frames 26, 27, etc.

victoria p

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:37:11 am

It works for me. Delete the file. Trash your prefs. Relaunch the app. Set it to a 25fps preset and reimport the track. It comes and displays in the viewer at a 25fps frame rate.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:40:17 pm

Read this thread and swap out 25 where I say 30.0.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1055646#1055664

This has happened with every version of FCP that I can remember, not just v6 or v7.

Return to posts index

victoria plummer
on Oct 8, 2009 at 2:58:58 pm

update - trashing all the prefs and then resetting worked for most files. One stubborn one had to be copied and renamed, but now I have all my audio at the correct frame rate and running in sync - thanks!

victoria p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]