FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Ferraro
Firewire
on Oct 4, 2009 at 3:00:03 pm

The Firewire device on FCP is not recognized. I am trying to make a copy of a documentary on Canon XLH1 and the device is not recognized. I made the usual trial, recorded from the camcorder into Focus drive either from camera or from tape, and got playback of the clips on the camcorder, so the firewire on the Canon works fine. On the other hand the firewire port on the MacBookPro also works fine because it recognizes the hard drives I put on it so the problem is into FCP, there is no way I can exchange info between any device connected to the firewire port and FCP because for FCP there is no device attached to it.
Anything else I can try?
Thanks.

FCP in MacBook Pro 17, 512 Graphics, 4GB Ram, 2.5GHz, Bus 800

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Firewire
on Oct 4, 2009 at 3:25:50 pm

Do u have an external FW drive hooked up @ the same time?
This can cause issues.
Also, shut down comp. Plug in Cam and firewire. Boot up machine, launch FCP. Does it see it now?
Select easy setup for your format.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 4, 2009 at 3:28:39 pm

Hi Carlo,
You may try to open QT and "New Movie Recording" to see if the picture feeds your Mac.
If so, with the camera connected, open the "Capture Presets" window (A/V Preferences").
Click the preset you are using (should have a mark) and click "Edit" to open the window.
See if in "Digitizer" appear the name of the camera.
Best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Phil Mildren
on Oct 11, 2009 at 3:49:00 am

I am experiencing similar issues with my Canon XL H1. I am using a Dual 2.7 G5 with up to date Leopard as well as up to date FCP 6. So, I have been able to capture footage from the XLH1 no problem for the last 6 months for the same project. Recently I shot more footage (same camera settings) and went to capture it in Final Cut, but before I could start it said there wasn't a capture device connected. Tested the Firewire on the Mac to make sure it wasn't fried and it connects with an external HD as well as another camera. I tested it in QT and it says I must have a device connected. So I went into the System Profiler to see if anything shows up there. Nothing. Just in case I have also run Repair Permissions and restarted the computer (without any external HD's connected). The camera appears to be working just fine. If you are familiar with the HLH1 there is a blue light that appears next the the DV firewire port when HDV is available, this is lit up as usual. Only other thing I can think to do is go to the Apple store and see if my camera shows up on another Mac. Oh, one last thing. This last week I updated quicktime, I can't imagine that somehow they are related.

Thanks for any help.

Phil Mildren
http://www.denvermediahouse.com

Return to posts index

Phil Mildren
on Oct 11, 2009 at 6:02:44 pm

So an update to the situation. I have gone to another computer and it sees it. I am currently capturing using this computer. The only solution I can think of is to do an archive and install on the Mac. Can drivers go missing?

Return to posts index

Phil Mildren
on Jun 3, 2010 at 6:30:56 pm

Update to situation. It had to be a complete miraculous fluke that the firewire worked when I went to another computer. Because what I later discovered is the firewire connection on my HLH1 was broken inside. The black plastic piece in the middle, that hold the connection wire, had broken off and the wires were just poking out. I sent the camera to Canon and they fixed it free of charge. Awesome customer service experience with them!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]