FORUMS: list search recent posts

Customizing Cross Dissolve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Adlin
Customizing Cross Dissolve
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:48:54 pm

Is it possible to customize? For example can you take a 30 frame cross dissolve and have it start 10 frames before the cut and finish 20 frames after?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
Re: Customizing Cross Dissolve
on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:59:19 pm

No, but you can achieve that with two cross dissolves, or w/ manual opacity keyframes.

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
(this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Oct 2, 2009 at 6:43:48 pm

Try setting one up on your timeline then making it a favorite.

Return to posts index

Jesse Adlin
on Oct 2, 2009 at 6:46:30 pm

Can you explain this further in terms of execution?

On a side note- why would Apple/FCP not have an easier option for doing something so simple?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:24:58 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong...but how I achieve this is to use the roll tool to slip the transition to where I want it. Not as clean as the AVID dissolve dialogue, but if you want a 30 frame to be offset by 5 frames off center, then just slip the cut 5 frames back and now your "centered" transition is where you want it.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jesse Adlin
on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:24:25 pm

I'm not sure if I'm executing correctly but this isn't working. When I use the roll it moves the clip... as in changes the duration of the clip.The dissolve remains centered over the cut. I just want to change the timing on the dissolve.

If you have a step by step procedure that works please let me know.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 2, 2009 at 11:47:00 pm

[Jesse Adlin] "When I use the roll it moves the clip"

It doesn't move the clip...just revises the start of it. - Make sure you are using the roll tool and have it placed OVER the dissolve, not the clip.

*I may be wrong here...because I am very new at FCP, but...*

A dissolve in FCP can be 1 of 3 things...start/centered/ending at cut. You simply change the "placement" of the dissolve by moving the edit point underneath it. It does revise the length of a clip, but so does adding a dissolve. If you put a 20 frame dissolve on a clip and it's centered, then it extends the use of the media incoming and outgoing by 10 frames...this is with any NLE I've ever used.

Does that make sense?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Alex Gollner
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:25:25 pm

Using some free plugins, I've added more controls to many of the standard transitions including Cross Dissolve:

As well as changing the shape of the curve using a couple of bezier points, you can also set the transition to start a specific percentage in. Using your example you would set the transition to be 40 frames long (centred on the edit), and set the Start % to 25. This starts the transition 25% of the frames in (10 frames in) - it will continue to 100% of the frames (20 frames after the edit point).

Download the transitions from my website.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Jesse Adlin
on Oct 6, 2009 at 1:01:19 am

Thanks. This is a clear explanation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]