COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
having problem with dip to color transition
on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:53:55 pm

Hey Guys,

I have 2 incoming clips...track 1 and 2

Track 1 is full frame video
Track 2 is an over the shoulder overlay with alpha.

I want to do a dip to color transition to a single full frame clip on V1.

The issue is that no matter if I add the dip to color on Track 2 or Track 1 or BOTH. The video does a wierd fade to black (not the overlay, just the video) as it transitions to color (the dip to color is an off white).

I can't figure this out...and it's really bugging me.

From AVID, I'd submaster the clip then dip to color as one object...but I asked a long time ago how to transition 2 clips...and the answer was to do the EXACT same transition on each clip...but that's not working for me.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: having problem with dip to color transition
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:42:20 pm

[Jason Brown] "From AVID, I'd submaster the clip then dip to color as one object...but I asked a long time ago how to transition 2 clips...and the answer was to do the EXACT same transition on each clip...but that's not working for me. "

Nest those two shots, then add your dip color.

Most of the time you as you've noticed you don't have to nest in a situation like this, however sometimes you do. And yes, it shouldn't be necessary, and yes it's a workaround, but it's the easiest thing to do.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:53:48 pm

Is it because of the dip to color? I've done this successfully with dissolves...

I tried to premultiply the alpha differently, but no luck.

-Jason

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:10:52 pm

[Jason Brown] "Is it because of the dip to color? I've done this successfully with dissolves... "

I'm not really sure Jason. I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but I can only tell you that in my experience it's just one of those things where you just need to find the quickest workaround and move on.

BTW, with regard to our discussion last week about transitions. Even though as you found, a non-centered transition can indeed work from the first frame of incoming, or the last frame of an out-going clip if necessary, you really should use the old-school film-style technique I told you about, and get yourself in the habit of cutting in half of the length of the transition on both sides of every edit. When working under deadline or with a client looking over your shoulder, getting in that habit gives you the flexibility to adjust transitions quickly in just about every conceivable way. On those occasions when you require every frame it's a different matter, but that's typically a rarity. Developing good work habits is very important, and clients do notice these things.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:21:59 pm

lol...

It's a good thing I don't have clients then! I just started with an in-house video production dept and I have the fortune of having A LOT of give and take. The deadlines aren't ANYWHERE close to what I experienced in my former life of working with clients.

It's been a really good situation, because I came from AVID...trying to learn FCP...sort of "on the job" and I don't have to turn things out super-fast and there's never anyone over my shoulder...so if I have to take it home to play with it because of lack of knowledge...that's most always an option

The problem really starts with the fact that I'm editing stuff shot with a cheap HDV cam that I don't even shoot sometimes, and I have to digitize footage from the camera, it's just not a clean workflow. I ALWAYS give myself handles when shooting, but other's don't.

I appreciate the advice, but hopefully needing to start at the EXACT first frame of a clip won't be a common occurrence!

Thanks again for your help...

Return to posts index

Atticus Culver-Rease
on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:37:36 pm

The best solution to this would be to just create a matte color of whatever color you're trying to dip to, put it on track 3 and then use opacity keyframes (or dissolves) to have it fade in and out over your other video tracks. This is pretty much my default way of doing a "dip to color" transition if I have multiple tracks of video being composited underneath.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 3, 2009 at 12:07:02 am

Is the correct place to find that under Effects->Matte->Color

Thanks for the help!

-Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]