FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comment my backup/disc thoughts please...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob Mortensen
Comment my backup/disc thoughts please...
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:30:06 pm

Hey

I edit in FCP on a macbook, and a imac both of quite new date.

Now i need a external disc for editing. I dont have the expresscard port, but would like to have a disc who i prepared for a future with a faster mac. Now i have been thinking about a caldigit vr for a working disc in raid0, BUT I am not sure if my mac can use the speed at all. Alternatively i could run raid1 on the working disc to have the backup. The other disc i have been considering is the western digital http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=621 I think it is cheaper than the caldigit.

I would then use to standard external discs to backup projects on, so that i get 2 dublicate discs for added security.

Please let me know what you would do ?

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Comment my backup/disc thoughts please...
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:46:43 pm

Raid-1 is a huge waste. It operates at about 1/2 the speed of a single drive and of course gives you half the space. You are far better off editing with something like the CalDigit VR at Raid-0, which will give you superb throughput (nearly 2X) that of a single drive, and much better realtime performance. Then, just backup your media to inexpensive firewire drives.

Keep in mind, after you've captured all the media in a project, your backing up is pretty much done. You don;t have to backup all your media everyday, because it doesn't change. Just backup up your project file everyday to several places, such as: a thumbdrive, another computer, a remote server like iDisk, or even your iPhone if you have one.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:18:27 am

Great thank you for the quick and thorough reply, I really appreciate it.

I will follow it for sure. Just a follow up. Do you know the western digital disk system ? Apparently it should be able to run raid0 as well, and has the same output as the caldigit disk. I think the WD is a less expensive option, but maybe the caldigit is just a better tool ??

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:36:24 am

Any two SATA enclosures with two drives striped as Raid-0 will be approximately, if not exactly, the same in terms of throughput. What make the CalDigit VR so much better it that it has swappable drives, better looks, better support, and a really nice LED monitor that give you info about the drives and their condition.

And, if one of the drives in you WD unit goes out, the entire unit is a goner. If one goes out in the CalDigit VR you just replace it with a bare Hitachi drive that's available just about anywhere.

In addition, you can have several sets of drives that you can swap in and out depending on the project. As an example, if you're working on many small jobs most of the time, and one great big feature documentary as well, you can easily keep that big mega doc on it's own 2-drive raid that you swap in and out at will. Just try that with the WD drive or any other of the cheap pre-manufactured drives on the market.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:30:27 am

Thanks for your reply.

Actually WD states on the webpage describing the disk system that: "User serviceable - Want to upgrade a drive? Simply open the case and replace the existing drive – no screwdriver needed."

So apparently it is possible to change disks.

If the speed is the same then i will consider the WD, but offcourse i will check the prices first.

Thanks for your input and help.

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:14:05 pm

[Jakob Mortensen] "Actually WD states on the webpage describing the disk system that: "User serviceable - Want to upgrade a drive? Simply open the case and replace the existing drive – no screwdriver needed."
"

Oh, that's a first, none of the other similar units from LaCie, G-Tech, Seagate, or Maxtor have that capability.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Oct 2, 2009 at 10:28:11 am

Hey

THinking about it that flexibility you describe does sound neat. Do I understand it correctly that you would then have just the loose 3.5 discs in pairs and you swap a pair. Is any special docs required or will any pair of identical 3,5" disc work ?

How do you then backup your set of raid0 disc ? Do you just copy the project on a regular single drive.

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:24:06 pm

[Jakob Mortensen] "How do you then backup your set of raid0 disc ? Do you just copy the project on a regular single drive. "

Yes. Get a very inexpensive firewire enclosure or one of those kits that allows you to simply hook up bare drives directly to firewire or USB ports without an enclosure, and zap your capture scratch files to bare drives that you label and store on a shelf.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161004

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]