FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best file conversion for FCP ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Brennus
What is the best file conversion for FCP ?
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:06:47 pm

Hi all,
I have recently purchase a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS with the ability to capture HD Film at 1280 x 720 pixels (30 frames/sec.) and play back using H.264 with audio data capture playback Linear PCM) (Mono) 16 bit Sampling Rate: 44.100 khz and was wondering What file formate this should be converted to for working in FCP please. Would appreciate a detailed breakdown of tweaks that may be needed when converting to a preset standard also please. Up to now i have converted these files to something called apple intermediate codec in QT but when i separate the audio from the movies i make to be edited in the audio editor it seems to go out of sync. My thinking is it may be the apple intermediate codec i am using that is causing this problem.

Please help i am desperate Dan

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: What is the best file conversion for FCP ?
on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:45:37 pm

There are many posts on this subject. Search and you'll find them.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Henry Truong
on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:33:27 pm

Depending on what you are using them for, you can encode them into HDV. I have the same camera, and I am assuming you are using it just for personal shooting. If so, HDV is more than good enough.

Return to posts index

Arthur Brennus
on Oct 2, 2009 at 10:24:42 pm

Hi Henry, i'm using the camera quite a lot for timelaps landscapes so i would like the quality as near perfect as is possible.

Return to posts index

Henry Truong
on Oct 2, 2009 at 11:45:00 pm

I guess it depends what kind of options you have. Outside of work, I run FCP on my Macbook, my only other option is DVCPRO-HD, which I haven't tested out yet. I can't imagine the HD video on this little handheld to be so good that it warrants using uncompressed or anything of the sort though.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 2, 2009 at 11:48:27 pm

Going from a compressed GOP format (h264) to another highly compressed GOP format (HDV) makes no sense.
Transcode your footage to Proress keeping all the settings like the original clips. Then use CinemaTools to conform the clips to 29'98.
For making Time-lapse you shouldn't use the video functions of the camera. Shoot stills.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Arthur Brennus
on Oct 8, 2009 at 12:37:19 pm

Thanx lads,
you have been a big help. Will Transcode my footage to Proress like you suggested Rafael.
Thanx mate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]