FORUMS: list search recent posts

digitizing DVDs (of my own work)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Lindstrom
digitizing DVDs (of my own work)
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:30:11 pm

Hi All:
I need to make a demo reel pronto. Is there a way I can digitize DVDs of my documentaries (and thus avoid the expense of going to an edit house to work from Beta SP)? When I try to import the DVD, it immediately opens up with DVD player and I'm unable to select it for import.

Thanks!
Brian

Return to posts index

Andrew Brose
Re: digitizing DVDs (of my own work)
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:46:07 pm

Brian,

MPEG Streamclip is an excellent freeware program you can download for this particular application. Once you've installed the software, open your DVD and export your project to almost any format. The program is quite straight forward and simple to use.

Good Luck!

Andrew

Return to posts index

Brian Lindstrom
on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:41:50 pm

Andrew:
Worked like a charm!
Thanks so much!
Best,
Brian

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:54:30 pm

http://www.squared5.com/

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:07:15 pm

the easiest way to get DVD content into FCP is to hook the outputs of a DVD player to the inputs of DV camcorder or deck and come in via Firewire. Everything else is a PITA.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:29:53 pm

[david bogie] "the easiest way to get DVD content into FCP is to hook the outputs of a DVD player to the inputs of DV camcorder or deck and come in via Firewire. Everything else is a PITA."

Sorry Bogiesan, but ripping a DVD with Streamclip is faster than realtime and requires no cable or camera hookup. So, exactly how does analog capture qualify as "easiest?" It's certainly not faster.

The only value I can see might be if you have only a tiny clip or two and you determine it might be faster just to capture those shorties as opposed to ripping the entire DVD or VOB.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:35:39 pm

Plus you can mark an in and out in streamclip. U don't have to rip the whole disk

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:36:17 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Sorry Bogiesan, but ripping a DVD with Streamclip is faster than realtime and requires no cable or camera hookup. So, exactly how does analog capture qualify as "easiest?" It's certainly not faster. "

It sort of reminds me of someone sticking a microphone in front of a stereo to record a vinyl LP onto tape, or setting up a camera to shoot a TV screen to record something off of the air. Definitely the long way around, and far from the best quality.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:44:48 pm

[Alan Okey] "the long way around, and far from the best quality."

And, you'd think that anyone who rides a recumbent bicycle would be looking outside the old analog box...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:03:47 pm

Do you think the video takes a quality hit by running it through streamclip as opposed to analog? Streamclip is just unmuxing the files and exporting to whatever codec you choose. How is analog any better? The files are already compressed.
Just curious.
Joey

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:07:31 pm

Video quality will be MUCH higher through streamclip than an analog cable.
Just make sure you have the write codec selected for the timeline sequence you're editing in.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Sofrware? Feh! Use a cable.
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:44:35 pm

I was unaware that speed was part of the OP's question.

You guys seem to prefer a digital solution for everything and it's just not necessary. Hooking up a cable is stupid-proof as well as being reliable.
Regardless of the devotion you all have to keeping MPEG2 local, the difference between an analog input to DV and a Streamclip demux of MPEG2 is not discernible to the casual viewer and, if you're going back to DVD, you've accomplished little.

We ran Streamclip on an 8 minute clip from someone's DVD,built in Premiere on a PC, just last week. For whatever reason, and I don't care at al what the reason was, more than 20 minutes ticked byand nothing much was going on. Screw that. I put the DVD in a player and captured it in real time. It's done and we're moving on.

On a personal note, I ride a recumbent for the same reasons I use Macintosh and play go instead of chess: comfort and uniqueness. I shoot practical fire and water effects instead of trying to simulate them in After Effects because it's more fun to do it that way. I use a DVD player to ingest DVD material because it works.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:54:16 pm

We're gonna be calling you old Fogiesan from now on...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:12:41 pm

[david bogie] "On a personal note, I ride a recumbent for the same reasons I use Macintosh and play go instead of chess: comfort and uniqueness. "

Don't let anyone give you s**t about riding a recumbent... I have Windcheetah recumbent trike and it's sublime!

;)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:20:38 pm

[david bogie] "You guys seem to prefer a digital solution for everything and it's just not necessary. Hooking up a cable is stupid-proof as well as being reliable.
Regardless of the devotion you all have to keeping MPEG2 local, the difference between an analog input to DV and a Streamclip demux of MPEG2 is not discernible to the casual viewer and, if you're going back to DVD, you've accomplished little. "

Well said. I have to say depending on the length and use of the DVD material we'll either use MPEG Streamclip or bring it in via a Kona board. Definitely BluRay discs we capture through the Kona as that really looks good coming in that way.

And you're right about the casual viewer, most folks who come here can't even see the reverse interlace issue when HD is dropped into an SD timeline....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: Software? Feh! Use a cable.
on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:12:46 pm

[walter biscardi] "And you're right about the casual viewer, most folks who come here can't even see the reverse interlace issue when HD is dropped into an SD timeline.... "

Hardly surprising. Have you seen how bad most HD looks on digital cable services? The compression artifacts are horrendous, especially with sports programming.

Every time I walk into a bar and there's a big plasma TV hanging there with a basketball game on, I cringe - it looks like the Red Lego team vs. the Yellow Lego team.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Software? Feh! Use a cable.
on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:23:41 pm

[Alan Okey] "Hardly surprising. Have you seen how bad most HD looks on digital cable services? The compression artifacts are horrendous, especially with sports programming. "

Which is precisely why we switched to DirecTV. Here we had Charter Communications which was up to a whopping 15 HD channels when we switched though on any given day only two of those channels actually LOOKED like HD. That is, a nice clean signal with minor artifacts visible.

With DirecTV we have over 100 HD channels and all of them look like they are truly HD. Absolutely worth the money we're spending on that service. Oh wait, we're paying $40 LESS per month! :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]