FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 3 Captioning

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Chang
Compressor 3 Captioning
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:01:22 pm

Our company is looking at cost-effective ways to produce video-on-demand files with closed captioning.

Compressor 3 seems to offer a captioning solution via the 'inspector' tab, but it injects the SCC information into a white stripe on the side of the quicktime file. What kind of captioning standard is this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Compressor 3 Captioning
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:57:27 pm

[Simon Chang] "What kind of captioning standard is this?"

Good question.

I would check out CPC MacCaption which has a web version.

http://www.cpcweb.com/webplus/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Livingston
on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:47:51 pm

Hi Simon,
Can you be more specific about what you mean by Video on Demand? There are a lot of different kinds of VOD and they use different kinds of closed captioning. Is this for a website, or for a Cable/Satellite network?

By white stripe, do you mean a series of white dots and dashes as the top horizontal line of the video? That would be line 21 closed captioning, used by analog SD systems. If it is something other than that, then it's probably not closed captioning related (a screenshot might help though).

Hope this helps,

Jason Livingston
CPC

Return to posts index

Simon Chang
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:06:08 pm

Hi Jason, please refer to the screen cap below:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/943/compressorcc.jpg

The video is a quicktime file with the DVCPRO codec. After adding the scc file through compressor, the end result is what you see with the thick white stripe on the right-hand side. In quicktime I can then go into 'View --> Show Closed Captioning' and the text will appear onscreen.

I am trying to transcode a VoD file for television broadcast via the CableLabs specifications. Was hoping if this was a recognized form of caption data, I could use it as a mezzanine file in another program (Rhozet, Pixeltools, Episode, etc) to get the final mpeg-2 transport stream output?

Return to posts index

Jason Livingston
on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:41:40 pm

Hi Simon,
That white stripe has nothing to do with the closed captioning, it's a QuickTime display aperture problem.

If you need CableLabs compliance with closed captioning then Compressor is not the way to go IMHO.

Rhozet Carbon Coder can take .scc files and generate the SCTE-20 & CEA-608 closed caption data during the encode to CableLabs MPEG-2 transport stream, so that is one option. I believe Flip Factory & Digital Rapids can do this as well, but not Episode.

MacCaption can import .SCC and then add SCTE-20, CEA-608 & CEA-708 closed captions directly to MPEG-2 transport streams, provided you also have Manzanita's multiplexer installed so that the stream can be re-muxed to CableLabs compliance.

For more information see: http://cpcweb.com/hdtv/manzanita.htm

Hope this helps,

Jason Livingston
CPC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]