FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best internal hard drive for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Brodbeck
Best internal hard drive for FCP
on Sep 29, 2009 at 1:18:47 am

What internal hard drive would you recommend for Final Cut Pro?
I'll keep my main drive for the OS and three 1TB drives for FCP scratch disks.
No raid, just internal 1TB drives in a MacPro.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ben Brodbeck

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Best internal hard drive for FCP
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:20:42 am

Any sata drive will do. I'm a fan of Western Digital mostly because of there great warranty.

[Ben Brodbeck] "No raid"

Why not if you raid the 3 other drives together and your editing performance will increase dramatically.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:47:40 am

I agree with Zane on the recommendation to raid, disagree on his drive choice. I happen to prefer Hitachi SATA drives myself, simply because most of the really good raid manufacturers recommend them and use them. However, SATA drives are all pretty good now.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:59:28 am

And I like Seagate! Great 5 year warranty, & snappy returns service.

-Simmie
6 MacPros - Kona 3 & Kona LH
1 G5s - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Ben Brodbeck
on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:21:15 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Forgive my ignorance, if I use three 1TB drives for my media, can I raid them and still have 3TB of media storage?

What type of raid would this be and how would I set it up?

Thanks so much!,

Ben Brodbeck

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:03:10 pm

[Ben Brodbeck] "if I use three 1TB drives for my media, can I raid them and still have 3TB of media storage? "

Yes and no.

Yes, if you stripe the drives together as RAID 0 you will get every bit of usable space on each drive X3, unlike other 'flavors' of RAID that use up some space for protection.

No because your 1TB drives are not really 1TB! Drive makers count 1KB as 1,000 bytes, a power of 10. Everyone else counts 1KB as 1024, a power of 2. So your 3 drive RAID will look more like 2.7 or 2.8TB when you're done because each 1TB drive is closer to 900GB.

Clear as milk, I know...

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:55:21 pm

[Zane Barker] "I'm a fan of Western Digital mostly because of there great warranty. "

I will say that WD has excellent warranty service, and that i have waaaay too much experience using it.

3 years ago I built a RAID for a client using 8 500GB WD drives, to date I've replaced 7 of them. I later bought a 9th drive as a spare, so that's 7 out of 9 drives that have failed in only 3 years.

To WD's credit, they replaced each one without asking for anything other than a serial # and the original drive back.

And that particular model of drive is no longer made, so they replaced the last few with the closest equivalent, including 2 750GB!.

Perhaps it was just a bad batch, or a faulty design? I've had better luck with Seagate & Hitachi.

Arnie

Return to posts index

Ben Brodbeck
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:08:02 pm

Cool!,

So it sounds like I need to do a RAID 0 config to get the maximum speed while still having my storage.

My only question left (forgive my ignorance) is what does the RAID 0 config do for me. What is the advantage?

Thanks!,

Ben Brodbeck

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:02:30 pm

[Ben Brodbeck] "My only question left (forgive my ignorance) is what does the RAID 0 config do for me. What is the advantage? "

Speed, speed, speed! RAID 0 configures the drives as a single volume in which data is striped across all three drives simultaneously, greatly increasing the read/write data transfer speeds of the volume.

The downside of RAID 0 is that if one of your drives fails, all data will be lost. A good rule of thumb is to not store anything on a RAID 0 volume without first backing it up on something else.

Other RAID levels like RAID 1 and RAID 5 offer redundancy so that if a drive fails, data may be recovered.

RAID 1 is also called mirroring, and simply involves having one drive become an exact duplicate of the other. There's no speed advantage to doing this, and in fact performance may suffer slightly. Since a drive is duplicated, RAID 1 requires an even number of drives. Storage space is half the total of all drives.

RAID 5 uses 3 or more drives, and distributes parity information across all of the drives in the array so that if one drive fails, data can be recovered by replacing the drive and rebuilding the RAID. Due to the increased processing overhead required for parity data calculations, RAID 5 is typically performed in hardware by a RAID controller card. RAID 5 offers both speed and redundancy. Total storage space is slightly less than the total of all drives in a RAID 5 volume, as some space is dedicated to storing parity information.

In short:

RAID 0 = speed, no redundancy
RAID 1 = redundancy, no speed advantage
RAID 5 = speed plus redundancy, hardware controller usually required

For best results, all drives in a RAID set should be of equal size.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 30, 2009 at 2:08:19 am

[Ben Brodbeck] "My only question left (forgive my ignorance) is what does the RAID 0 config do for me. What is the advantage?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Arnie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]