FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing HDV in a DV timeline issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Turner
Editing HDV in a DV timeline issue
on Sep 28, 2009 at 8:50:32 pm

Up until now I've only edited with DV footage, but the project I'm working on has some footage shot in HDV, and the rest in DV.

The HDV footage is shot in 1080i 60fps, with a canon camera. My DV sequence is set to DV NTSC 29.97fps.

My issue is this, when I pull the HDV footage to the DV sequence, it has horizontal lines (artifacting) around the edges of objects when I preview it on my computer monitor.

When I preview it on my TV out of FCP, everything looks really good, no h-lines at all.

So I decided to burn it to a DVD to see how it looks on another TV while playing in M2v, and I still have the h-lines around the edges of objects.

I also wanted to mention that when I drag HDV clips to the DV timeline, it adds a "shift fields" filter, and this is applied to all my HDV footage. At first I thought maybe it was because that filter wasn't applied, but I checked and it is.

I don't think most people would notice the artifacting I'm talking about, but I do, and I really need some help getting rid of it.

My guess is that I need to export from the video camera again and have the camera down convert the footage to DV then just edit with that?

But I don't have the camera, and won't for a few days...

Does anyone have any advice, or could you point me to some information that would help me better understand a HDV to DV workflow.

Thanks

(I'm editing on a G5 with FCP 5.1.4)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Editing HDV in a DV timeline issue
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:30:26 pm

HDV is upper field first and DV is lower so downconverting through the camera would probably handle this conversion fairly well. Since you don't have the camera you may want to try a 2 minute clip with a good bit of motion and do the downconvert with compressor try it with Frame control turned on and set to best.

Return to posts index

Casey Turner
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:16:23 am

Michael, thanks for the info... What I found out today is that I need to take the original HDV footage, edit it in a sequence set up for HDV, then export a quicktime movie that is the same settings. Then take that file, and what I'm doing is using the media manager to recompress it as a DV file. The final product looks so much better for some reason, than it did trying to edit HDV footy on a DV timeline.

I looked at some other footage that I had "down converted" from the camera earlier, and it also has the horizontal noise. I don't know if this is an issue with the Canon XH A1 and down converting, or just a normal issue with HDV.

I've decided next time it is not worth shooting in HDV if the project is going to be mostly DV footage. Next time I'm just going to do the entire project in HDV.

So, thanks again...

Return to posts index

Jonathan Buiel
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:31:16 pm

The "shift fields" you're getting can be erased by changing your progressive settings to 30P - especially if you're going back to DV for online videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]