FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beginner and FCP crashing problem...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Linehan
Beginner and FCP crashing problem...
on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:46:03 pm

Hello all and I hope I'm posting in the right place - this is my first post in this forum.

My problem is this. I've just bought a Panasonic HMC151 which uses SD cards. When I try and use 'Log and Transfer' it starts to recognise the file (thumbnail displayed) but then, after about 10 seconds, FCP crashes out and I have to relaunch the application.
It makes no difference if I copy the files from the SD card to the hard drive. I've tried all sorts of project settings but always with the same result. I can use the included EDIUS Pro software on my windows PC but would rather not have to learn a whole new editing system. I like FCP a lot and want to get it to work with this impressive new camera.

My feeling is that it's a FCP issue or even an operating system issue. Do I need to upgrade to a newer version of FCP? These are the details of the Mac and software:

Final Cut Pro 6.0.1 part of Studio 2
MAC OS X version 10.5.2 running on a MAC Pro
2 X 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 F8 DIMM

I'm an IT technician by trade but only use the Mac for video editing so have very little knowledge of this side of things.

Anyway, I thank anyone in advance for any advice they might offer.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: Beginner and FCP crashing problem...
on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:11:35 pm

Hi Stephen,

Have you tried attempting to open single clips at a time?

[Stephen Linehan] "Final Cut Pro 6.0.1 part of Studio 2
MAC OS X version 10.5.2 running on a MAC Pro"

You may want to try updating FCP and your OS - both of these are out of date, so there may be fixes incorporated into the upgrades. Run software update or download from the Apple website.

FCP 6 is at version 6.0.6

It's always worth trashing FCP preferences when you have a recurring error. There is some free software called Preference Manager which automates this process, among other things.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

Stephen Linehan
on Sep 28, 2009 at 7:42:25 pm

Hello Alex and many thanks for responding to my plea!

To get up to date: since posting my question I've discovered (via other post on this forum) that I can get the video clips into FCP via iMovie: I've done it and it works. It's a slow process but it does work (thank heavens). I also discovered the "digital revolution" site which enabled me to download the Preferences manager tool...so I erased my old preferences and managed to "Log and Transfer" the clips into FCP......only I couldn't do anything with them then.

So, whilst I have a work around (via imovie) I'd like to upgrade FCP to the latest version and also the operating system. Regarding FCP, when I tried to update via the apple download site it seems to imply that my version is too old, or something. Do I need to buy the latest version? What is the latest version? 6.0.6 or 7.0? I'm not a Mac person so any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Having said all this, when I finally got the HD video stuff into FCP it looked fantastic. I really want to continue to use FCP to edit my video clips (I work in a special needs school and video is a great way of informing parents andothers about the kids) so I'll go that extra mile to get there.

So. Again. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Steve.

......and whilst this is slightly "off topic" which version of the Mac OS should I be on and how do I get it?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:58:35 pm

You need to get at least Leopard -- 10.5 and you can do so from your local Apple store or online at http://www.apple.com. Make sure you back-up your files and do a clean install.

Return to posts index

Stephen Linehan
on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:19:45 am

Thank you, David.

Are the upgrades to FCP free - at least, the 6.2 6.3, 6.4 etc? I assume 6.7 would incur a cost?

If I do a clean install of a newer OS I assume I would then have to install FCP 6.0.1 (my current version) before applying any upgrades?

Beginners questions, I know.

Thanks in advance!

steve.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:46:50 am

[Stephen Linehan] "managed to "Log and Transfer" the clips into FCP......only I couldn't do anything with them then."

Do you actually have the clips transferred successfully into FCP now? If so, what do you mean when you say you can't actually use them?

The latest version of FCP is version 7. However, you can upgrade to 6.0.6 for free, because you already have version 6.x.x.

The Mac OS you have can also be updated for free, or you can buy version 10.6 (Snow Leopard). This isn't the cause of your problem though, 10.5 should work fine with the clips you have.

It may be that you also need to update your version of Quicktime. Again all of these updates should be available via Software Update in the Apple menu, or on the Apple support website, all for free.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

Stephen Linehan
on Sep 29, 2009 at 1:20:31 pm

Hello Alex and thanks again for your suggestions.

Here's an update. I managed to download the relevant FCP updates but, on trying to install them, got the message "...need Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5. or newer".

Unfortunately, I've tried using the Mac software update which has worked for all sorts of stuff except for the OS. The "MacOSXupdCombo 10.5.8dmg" which it downloads asks for a reboot and then hangs. I've tried several times and have even left it overnight but it gets nowhere. So, I'm currently downloading "MacOSXupd 10.5.5" and let's see if that works.

I have a horrible feeling I might have to reinstall from CD/DVD the whole OS (assuming such came with this machine, I must check) and then apply updates, etc.

Regarding tranferring the clips into FCP. I used the preferences delete utility and then tried log and transfer. This succeeded in getting a load of thumbnails into the Log and Transfer window but FCP crashed when I tried to do anything with them. I never got as far again.

Well......progress is being made but at a cost. At least I'm learning more about the Mac side of things.

I'll post here with latest progress and thanks again to all who might suggest stuff.

steve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]