FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to 1080i disregarding frame rate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Grey
NTSC to 1080i disregarding frame rate
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:17:38 am

Hi, I have an NTSC DVD I need to use in a 25fps DVCPRO 1080i project. I understand if I simply bring it into FCP it will do a pretty poor job at converting it, and I have heard also about the Nattress plugins, however I don't need to keep the exact frame rate (I am not taking the audio either) and therefore don't mind if it's slowed down - can I just do a frame-for-frame import and would this result in a good quality conversion?

Many thanks, David

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: NTSC to 1080i disregarding frame rate
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:30:01 am

Hi David,
You should convert your MPEG-2 to 8b Uncompress or Proress.
The best option to that probably is MPGStreamclip.
Make sure you keep the same frame rate.
Look in the Info window of MPGStreamclip to be sure the frame rate you are working with.
If the frame rate (time-base) of the MPEG-2 is 23'98, you may try to Conform the clips to 25.
You will end up with a 720x480 NTSC pixels 25fps movie. You can drop it in the 1080i50 sequence.
For a better upscaling you can use Compressor.
If the MPEG-2 are 29'98, you should do similar conversion keeping this time-base.
Then your best option is to convert to 25fps and 1920x1080 Square pixels at once in Compressor.
Best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Grey
on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:11:42 pm

"If the MPEG-2 are 29'98, you should do similar conversion keeping this time-base.
Then your best option is to convert to 25fps and 1920x1080 Square pixels at once in Compressor. "

Thanks Rafael.

So this will result in a one-for-one frame conversion (i.e. slower footage when converted to 25fps)?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:41:29 pm

Hi David,
If you Conform, 24>25 the movie is speed up a 4%. Be careful with the audio. No los in picture quality (and as fast as a mouse click),
If you go the Compressor way (whatever the time base you want to change) Compressor interpolate or discharge pictures as needed. The picture and audio have the same length before and after exporting. The the quality will depends very much in the Compressor setting. And so the rendering time.
rafael

Return to posts index

David Grey
on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:50:17 pm

Thanks, but not sure i understand.

The video is at 29.98fps and i want to conform it to 25fps with no change in frames (so about 83% speed). Should I be using compressor for this?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 28, 2009 at 2:04:07 pm

I think I miss understood you.
OK, you don't care about the change in speed.
Just conform to 25 with CinemaTools.
The picture will be slow down to some 83%.
You can easily speed it up in FC if needed.
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]