FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing HDV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Barrie
Capturing HDV
on Sep 27, 2009 at 9:46:30 pm

I'm having problems capturing HDV footage that was shot on a Sony Z1 and I'm hoping someone out there can help.
I'm playing out from a Z1 via a Firewire 800 cable into my new MacPro machine in FCP7. I'm using a USB 2.0 LaCie 500GB external hard drive as my scrath disk. I've opened up FCP and via the Easy Set Up menu and configured FCP to HDV 1080i/50 at 25 fps, the way the camera was set up.
Unfortunately, when I'm trying to capture, nothing comes up in the capture window and nothing will capture, although the Z1 is being controlled via the Capture Window. I've changed some settings in the video settings in the Audio/Video setting window to see if it made a difference, but all to no avail.
To check devices, cables etc, I have switched all settings in the camera and in FCP to DVCam and used a DVCam tape from a previous project and it all works perfectly with bars immediately appearing in the Capture Window and digitizing unproblematic. It feels like there is something obvious that I haven't turned on in the settings but I have no idea what it may be. I have read the FCP FAQ's on this site and, again, come up with nothing. Anyone have any ideas?
My deadline is fast approaching and my hair is ready to be pulled out!!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Capturing HDV
on Sep 27, 2009 at 10:46:58 pm

USB drives are not supported for video applications.

Make sure the camera is to output HDV and not to iLink or downconvert.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Neil Barrie
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:19:19 am

Many thanks Tom. Having the iLink function on turned out to be the problem.

I will also bear in mind your USB advice and move over to a Firewire 800 device, although I will have to use my USB Hard Drive for this project.

Many thanks,

Neil

Return to posts index

Ian Clough
on Nov 6, 2010 at 3:28:40 pm

Tom you are a god among AV men! your post just saved me so much stress that i had to create and account and log on just to thank you.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew Clift
on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:44:20 am

I use USB 2 external hard drives without any problem for capturing so I'm not sure if it is that.

I use the same camera and setup almost and often I find I need to refresh the devices - View - External Video - Refresh A/V devises. then I reselect the camera I video playback. That seems to fix it for me.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 28, 2009 at 2:59:12 am

Apple does not support the use of USB drives for use with video applications. Yes, they will work in limited configurations, as long as the drives are not fragmented or have sufficient resources for data throughput. USB drives packet delivery of data should not be used with video.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Neil Barrie
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:24:45 am

Hi Matthew,

Many thanks for your response. It turned out the problem was having the Z1's iLink function switched on.

I will keep your ideas in mind though, should I come across any other problems.

Regards,

Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]