FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixing 30p and 24p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wojtek Targosz
mixing 30p and 24p
on Sep 26, 2009 at 11:36:44 pm

I am having a serious issue with mixing 24p and 30p in my project. Unfortunately one filmer shot in 24 and the other in 30 and of course everything is not working smoothly. I have been playing with natres standard conversion plugin but am appearantly doing something wrong. Please heeelp I need to have my master dvd sent out within the next few days and my project is looking really framy. I am editing in final cut pro and the footage was shot on a ex1 (30p) and an hvx (24p).

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: mixing 30p and 24p
on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:24:53 am

Hi Wojtek,
Two different time-base footage in the same sequence will never work.
I don't know why the Nattress doesn't works. It may be because is designed for SD. You should drop a mail to Graeme. He will answer you.
meanwhile the solution may be to convert with Compressor your p24 to p30.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 27, 2009 at 12:22:51 pm

[Rafael Amador] "t may be because is designed for SD"

No, it works in both SD and HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Sep 27, 2009 at 12:15:58 pm

Can you live with your 30p footage slowed down to 24p? Mapping 30 to 24 should work ok, but you'll get slow mo.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 27, 2009 at 12:44:07 pm

[Wojtek Targosz] " I have been playing with natres standard conversion plugin but am appearantly doing something wrong."

That is designed to convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa. Not sure it was designed to do other frame rate conversions as I'm not in front of a system right now with that on it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:49:20 am

The simplest thing is for you to add pulldown to the 24P to make it into 30i. I think you can use Nattress Film Effects for this, and I also think you can use Compressor for this. Try Compressor, while that's exporting your test download the Nattress FE demo and then try that.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:57:21 am

While doing these conversions ascertain that your 24fps movies are actually 24fps and not 23.976fps. And the 30fps movies are actually 30fps and not 29.97fps.

It is better to convert the 24 to 30 and make everything 30 as the final.

Compressor does a good job of converting 24 to 30 or 23.976 to 29.97. And CinemaTools can do the small 23.976 to 24 or vice versa, and 29.97 to 30 or vice versa.

Are these DSLR movies, by any chance?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:07:25 am

its pure rubbish that you can not mix frame rates in FCP. I do it everyday and I don't have problems. you simply have to do it the _right_ way. honestly I'm venting but it gets really tiring to see misinformation constantly repeated. its this simple

create a new TL with a 29.97fps frame rate in whatever 1080/720/480 size you need.

go to your original TL, select all, copy

paste into the new TL. DONE....

ok you might need to do a conform to sequence on clips that are scaled wrong - 1080 clips in a 720 TL, or vice versa, but not a big deal since you can group select clips.

FCP will add 3:2 on the fly to the 24P material. its once you start trying to out smart FCP's automatic handling that things most often go wrong. yes once in a while FCP will do the wrong thing, but more often then not it gets it right. at worst you sometimes need to either fudge clip interpretation, or use the deinterlace filter to fix what's wrong.

the look of 3:2 PD is what it is. its probably more visually jarring to mix the two frame rates like this then anything else, but you don't have much choice.

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]