FORUMS: list search recent posts

3rd monitor Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
3rd monitor Question
on Sep 26, 2009 at 4:34:41 am

Hello all Im not sure if this is the right forum but hears my question. I recently bought a Mac Pro Quad core 2.26, 10gigs RAm, Nvida 512 GFX card, I have two gateway 23' monitors i output to however I want to wall mount a 30' LCD TV and add it as a 3rd monitor mainly for FCP I want it to be set as a full screen render preview so my client behind can watch the footage without having to stand next to me. 1. What do i need to do this? 2. Were is the best place to buy parts I need? 3. Can this even work? Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: 3rd monitor Question
on Sep 26, 2009 at 11:55:52 am

This is just setting up an external monitor.

Matrox makes the MXO and the MXO 2

AJA makes the Kona series and the Io HD.

Personally I run the AJA Kona boards here as I have found them to be best and most versatile for my needs. We feed both FSI Reference monitors and Panasonic Pro Plasmas in all our suites with the AJA Kona 3.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Sep 26, 2009 at 9:36:27 pm

could I possibly do this without the B/o boxes and Black magic cards? Could I do it with a 2nd GFX card? And I really don't understand how the AJA and Kona cards work. I mean would I just get something like this

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/bla-bintspro?utm_source=Google%2BProduct...

and plug HDMI into my TV and Computer and will I get the Picture to the TV? Thanks

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 26, 2009 at 9:54:36 pm

[Greg Burke] "Could I do it with a 2nd GFX card? And I really don't understand how the AJA and Kona cards work. I"

You will not get an accurate picture and to my knowledge FCP will not operate with 2 graphics cards in a machine. Color definitely won't.

In order to edit professionally, you really need a proper video feed to a proper monitor. This requires one of the products I mentioned. If you're unclear on how these products operate, we have forums for each of them and certainly a VAR in your area can assist you in setting them up.

Essentially the AJA Kona boards and Matrox boxes allow you to ingest video from VTRs and then output a proper video signal from your machine to a television. The MXO is an output box only.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Sep 26, 2009 at 10:19:47 pm

Thanks Walter, But like I said Im new to this whole side of editing My old work had A Kona 2 Card, with a b/o box attached to a Deck and I never really understood how it worked. I'm not concerned with getting 100% accurate color, my clients are all low end anyway. Basically the less cords i have to deal with and the less money I have to spend the better. I moved my question to the Black Magic forums.

Return to posts index

Mario Rubertis
on Sep 27, 2009 at 7:11:54 pm

Greg,
Letme see if I could help a fellow artist (Don't feel bad.. I'm with you... technology should not get in the way of what we create).

How do I/O cards work?
Simple. They are responsible to get video in and out of your editing system. Now, depending on what you are ingesting from SDI, component, composite, SD, HD, 2K, 4K you have various choices to pick from. Some help with scaling your SD to HD in realtime or HD to SD, some have color calibration utilities that help when trying to make sure what you see is "true".

`Basically the less cords i have to deal with and the less money I have to spend the better`
I have a Matrox MXO2 that allows me to get almost everythin in and out of my system, it has color calibration tools and it is a breakout box. No messsing with a bunch of cables. It`s about $1600, if that more than what you need or want to spend they have a baby brother of the MXO2... MXO2 Mini http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/
I think that goes for something likd $450. Doesn`t have all the inputs and outputs of the MXO2 ... but might do the trick for you.

I hope this helps.

An Artist At Heart.
Life is made of moments...

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:17:50 am

So I need
1. LCD TV
2. MXO2
3. ?????

I know i need something else A thrid GFX card? a AV card?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:39:53 am

[Greg Burke] "So I need
1. LCD TV
2. MXO2
3. ?????

I know i need something else A thrid GFX card? a AV card?
"

No. No "third graphics card," in fact you don't need a 2nd graphics card. One graphics card, One A/V card / box like the Kona or MXO and that's it.

Your single Graphics card feeds two computer monitors.

The MXO feeds the TV.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:57:39 am

You can do it with a second Graphic card. Just buy a DVI>HDMI adaptor.
But you better learn how your IO card work.

[walter biscardi] "FCP will not operate with 2 graphics cards in a machine."
it seems that this really have changed since FC7-SL.
Read this:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1054102#reply_box
cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]