FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating an HD NTSC DVD from PAL timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Yarven
Creating an HD NTSC DVD from PAL timeline
on Sep 25, 2009 at 12:05:25 pm

Ok, as far as I can see, and I cant find anything by searching, is that its impossible?

I filmed on a PAL camera HDV. I want to export my timeline to HD NTSC but I cant find a way to do this.

Its easy to convert PAL TO NTSC using compressor when i am in SD, but for the life of me I cant find out how to do it in HD.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Creating an HD NTSC DVD from PAL timeline
on Sep 25, 2009 at 3:43:19 pm

You can use Compressor and tweak settings to get a clean HDV 1080i50 to SD NTSC conversion. Prepare for long render times.

Alternately, consider (Using Compressor) converting HDV 1080i50 to PAL as ProRes. The convert the PAL ProRes to NTSC ProRes. You can even 'chain' the two in Compressor, though I prefer doing it in two stages. Takes less time than one HD-SD conversion with frame rate change.

Make the DVD from the NTSC ProRes movie.

If you don't mind a small (4%) speed change, convert the HDV 1080i50 to PAL ProRes. Then conform that to 23.98fps in CinemaTools, and use that 23.98 fps movie to convert to NTSC ProRes. There will be less motion artifacts that way.

Overall, the quality is in the settings. You also need to consider aspect - whether you want to see HDV's 16:9 as 4:3 letterbox or 16:9 anamorphic in the final DVD.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tony Yarven
Re: Creating an HD NTSC DVD from PAL timeline
on Sep 26, 2009 at 12:21:17 am

thank you so much for this, greatly apreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]