FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup FCP for re-format?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beom Koh
Backup FCP for re-format?
on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:13:50 pm

Hello.

I am trying to format my computer and clean install OS and new FCP7. (I currently have FCP6). And I am little worried if I will lose anything that I worked until now (projects). Do I need to back up anything other than the project files and the original video files?

Thank you

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Backup FCP for re-format?
on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:23:03 pm

Just clone your system drive to an inexpensive hard drive using one the great free apps, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. That takes all the worry and concern out of the equation, and if you forgot something, or things don't go as planned, or if you ever need to open a client's project with the previous version of FCP you'll be entirely covered.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Beom Koh
on Sep 24, 2009 at 11:13:50 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

todd reid
on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:43:40 pm

Just so your clear, if you clone your drive, you can't easily get one file from it, if you've only missed one thing.
These programs will clone the entire harddrive and are designed in case you ever need to get back to the way it was BEFORE you upgraded.

This is a VERY wise thing to have, to cover your butt.
I have learned this from DRW (thanks again).

However please realize that you would have to do some finagling to get a single file from that clone. I guess you could boot from that external drive, and find the file, copy it somewhere, then reboot back to your newly upgraded drive and then copy it back (thumb drive maybe).

Fortunately I've never had to utilize a clone, so I'm not positive about this.

My advise would be to clone your drive, AND backup and media that you may want to use in your new setup. Most of this stuff should be kept on external drives anyway, but in case you have things on your mac hard drive, that you will continue to need, I'd make sure I had that elsewhere (as well as included within your clone)

hope that makes sense. I have heard of some clone programs that WILL allow you to strip off individual files, but I don't think Carbon Copy will do that, thats what I use.

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:56:07 pm

Actually Todd, if you're making a simple bootable clone, it will appear on the desktop just like any other hard drive until you boot to it. So, you can pull one or many files off of that drive if you need to. If your clone is on a firewire drive just plug it in and test it, i think you'll find that it's no different from any other drive. There are ways to make disk images using CCC that that don't work that way, but a simple clone does for sure.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]