FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio waveform not updating

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
audio waveform not updating
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:15:56 pm

Is there a secret to have the audio waveform update? I've turned it on/off...closed, open the seq...restarted FCP...but the waveform is only displaying for a portion of a couple of clips and no others.

Strange?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: audio waveform not updating
on Sep 25, 2009 at 4:42:02 pm

Sounds like a problem with you waveform cache file. It may be a file permissions issue for the directory where they are being written, or the cache files themselves could be corrupt. You can try deleting them, which will force FCP to rebuild the waveform displays.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 25, 2009 at 7:42:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion...delete what exactly? Cache files? Are these FCP files?

I did move my project file from internal drive to an internal RAID. It may be a permissions issue.

What is strange is they come and go at different zoom levels...I haven't paid enough attention to know if it's consistent, it's just annoying! :)

-Jason

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:41:16 pm

Within FCP, if you open the system settings (control-Q), check the "scratch disks" and note down where the "Waveform Cache" is set. In the finder, navigate to this folder and delete these files. They will have names like, "filename0030004kgwv." This will force the system to redraw the waveforms when you open your project next. If this doesn't work, check to see if the system is creating new waveform cache files in the directory. If it isn't, it is probably a write permission issue that is preventing the program from creating new cache files. Good luck!

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 26, 2009 at 12:38:44 am

I'll check this Monday and update the post on what I find.

Thanks so much!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:30:04 pm

Matt - THANK YOU!

I'll post how it worked in case someone reading has the same issue.

I started with a "project" folder on my main Hard Drive that was my initial scratch folder.

I moved to a RAID I setup on my system...and that was where the trouble started. My solution was to delete existing waveform cache files...then -> repair permissions like you suggested, but it didn't immediately fix the problem.

The secret was to delete the existing files from the original scratch directory. It didn't work until I deleted those files, then restarted FCP.

Thanks again! Hope this helps someone else!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Sep 28, 2009 at 5:18:47 pm

That's great Jason, glad I could help! Just to clarify my original post, I wasn't referring to the "repair permissions" tool in disk utility, but rather the file access permissions in the finder. If you select the scratch folder, right click and select "get info." At the bottom of the window that pops up, there is an "ownership and permissions" section. You need to make sure that your user name is selected as the owner and you have "read and write" permissions. It is a good idea to click "apply to enclosed items" as well. In the past, I've found this doesn't always fix the problem, so deleting the cache files, as you did, is often the best way to go. (and besides, it doesn't take that long to rebuild them)

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Todd Peterson
on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:20:25 pm

Hi guys. Im having this same issue and deleting the waveform cache files and repairing the permissions as Matt mentions doesn't seem to be working. Any other ideas anyone?

Thanks,
todd

Return to posts index

Benjamin Meader
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:16:26 pm

Hey Todd,

I was having the same issue. I just discovered that if I copy the raw file to a new location and bring that new copy into FCP, it recognizes the clip as a new file and redraws the waveform. This could be tedious for long projects, but for single files like VOs it does the trick.

Benjamin Meader
bmeader.raindog.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]