FORUMS: list search recent posts

applying filter shortcut?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric oliver
applying filter shortcut?
on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:34:11 pm

I use a two monitor system, and on monitor #2, I have all the bins/effects/audio etc for my project. i hate using drop downs, and for most things I either know a keyboard shortcut, use a button, or make my own shortcut.
Here's the problem. When I double-click on a filter in my effects folder, it pops up in my viewer. I can drag it from there, drag it from monitor #2 to the timeline, or use a drop-down menu to insert it into a clip. All these moves are tedious when applying multiple filters in a show. Anyone know of a way to map some code/shortcut so that double-clicking on a filter in the effects folder drops it into a clip automatically?

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: applying filter shortcut?
on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:17:51 pm

First, it's generally bad workflow to double click the filters in the filters bin to prepare for a drag and drop. It's better just to drag and drop it from the Effects Tab in the Browser straight away. Secondly, double clicking a filter will never place it on a clip, sorry.

The only way to apply a filter without dragging and dropping or by using the menu is to use a custom keyboard shortcut. In the Keyboard Layout, you have shortcuts available for a "Video Filter Favorite". There are 4 already there and you can remap 5 more there. However, you'll first need to make the filter a favorite though (OPT + F).

Check out my book for optimal workflow in FCP effects creation for more details.

Kevin Monahan
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

eric oliver
on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:41:00 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I've already mapped tons of filter favorites, and I use dragging from the FX folder as my main method. I use a lot of different filters, though, and I'm looking for a way to make it even easier than dragging.
Probably not doable--wish a code/applescript guru would chime in though...

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:18:47 pm

Dragging and dropping is the only way you can add multiple effects at once. So, double clicking is definitely not doable. FCP does not work with Apple Script, so that would not work for you, either.

BTW, you can place multiple filters in a bin, then drag and drop that. It's a good way for applying many effects at once.

Double clicking a filter to apply it to a selected clip is not a bad idea at all. It just doesn't work this way in FCP. Might be a good feature request, though.

Kevin Monahan
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]