FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding a MP4 video file to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Hammand
Adding a MP4 video file to FCP
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:56:44 pm

I believe I have to convert a MP4 file from a flip camera to import it into FCP6... is converting it to Apple 8b uncompressed the best way to go?

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
Re: Adding a MP4 video file to FCP
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:47:56 pm

When converting these things, you want to keep two things in mind- quality and render time. So are you working in an 8bit uncompressed timeline? Is the Flip footage SD or HD?

Return to posts index

Jack Hammand
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:02:40 pm

Flip footage is MP4 HD... and I want to keep the quality high in FCP... so I think I have to import it as Apple 8b uncompressed? (I understand the render time may be very long) What is the best way to edit MP4 HD in FCP and have a quality video?

Jack

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:24:56 pm

I would've brought it in as either Apple Pro-Res 422 or DVCProHD. (You'd save space with DVCProHD.) If you have the original Flip files, I would do a test in Compressor, do like 30 seconds, and see how it looks, how big the file is, etc.

What are the specs of the computer you're editing on? What are the exac specs of the sequence you're editing in?

And I'm really lost on your comment about the audio CD. If it's a 48kHz .AIFF file, then it should be the length that it is...

Return to posts index

Jack Hammand
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:15:36 pm

Right now I have all the MP4 HD files converted to Apple 8b uncompressed in my FCP6 time line... but is this the best way to go? I noticed that an additional audio track that I added from a CD is shorter in length (quicker) than the audio track from the Apple 8B uncompressed audio.

Jack

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 24, 2009 at 1:18:59 am

Hi jack,
Being your MP4 an 8b 420 file, 8b Uncompress would be the way to get and retain the 100% of the quality of your clips.
You will get big files, yes. No longer render time at all. Uncompressed formats are faster to render (no need to de-compress before processing).
Proress is a god solution too. Will reduce your files size.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 27, 2009 at 7:03:03 pm

Just finished an edit using clips from many Flip cameras. Converted them all to ProRes with Compressor. Edit was a breeze.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]