FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viewing master clip waveforms on all tracks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark McBride
Viewing master clip waveforms on all tracks
on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:02:29 am

Hi everybody,

I'm an avid editor finally making the switch and I have a question for all you FCP veterans out there...

If you have mono tracks on a master clip (or even 2 stereo pairs), is there a way of seeing each of their waveforms side by side in the viewer, and without having to cut them all into the timeline? I find it annoying to have to switch between different tabs and look at them separately. I know there is no equivalent of avid's 'toggle timeline view' (sadly), but I'd really like to know if there is a way of doing this.

Thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Viewing master clip waveforms on all tracks
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:16:01 pm

No, that feature is not present in FCP. If you want to switch quickly between tabs, try the Shift + CMD + Bracket shortcut.

Welcome to FCP. There are going to be a number of things you are not going to be able to do quite the same way as you do in Avid, so be ready for that. Once you get good with FCP, there will be stuff you can't do in Avid.

Kevin Monahan
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Mark McBride
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:14:51 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your swift answer. I think I'm already realizing that there are too many good things going on in FCP to get truly annoyed with it not having these sorts of avid-like features. This one was no big deal anyway, just something I'm used to that's all.

Mark

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 24, 2009 at 1:25:24 am

Maybe I'm not understanding the question.
But.
Can't you 'tear off' the tabs you want to view simultaneously and place the resulting new 'windows' side by side?

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:58:50 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "Can't you 'tear off' the tabs you want to view simultaneously and place the resulting new 'windows' side by side?
"

Yar, I was going to post the same thing but I tried it and discovered you can't play them at the same time.

And to the OP, welcome to the family. You're going to love FCP. You're going to hate FCP.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Mark McBride
on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:26:15 pm

Thanks guys,

I think my original yearning was just to see all the tracks lined up on top of each other, as if in a timeline, but have since realised that it was also a matter of not being able to see the video and waveforms together at the same time.

Dragging the audio tabs out to a new viewer window seems to be a decent enough workaround. And in fact, I've just attempted to drag all 4 mono tracks from a clip to new windows, and they all seem to play together in sync (not sure why this doesn't work for everyone - I'm using v6.0.1). Also if you scrub through one window or zoom in or out, all the rest of the windows follow suit nicely. Not only that, (and I discovered this by accident) you can even drag the tabs into the timeline window for a larger, tidier view. Not quite what I was looking for but it'll certainly do.

Thanks also for the welcome! I am mightily impressed at what I've seen so far, even if a little peeved at some things, like the strange trimming behaviours for example.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]