FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - white windows

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew paul bowser
FCP 7 - white windows
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:54:04 am

Hey there!

I have recently updated to FInal Cut Pro 7 and none of my video files are showing up in the viewer or canvas. There is nothing but white in both windows.

It's footage from an HVX200, P2 Media.

I've read through some posts here and none of the "fixes" seem to work. I am on a MacBook Pro, my view is not set to "Alpha" and my display is set to millions.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 7 - white windows
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:20:11 am

When clips display a white, normally is because QT have not available the necessary codec.
had you tried to open the files with other application?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

andrew paul bowser
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:12:54 am

Yeah the files open just fine in Quicktime, just not in FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:22:43 am

Did you trash your prefs? What OS are you using?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Sep 23, 2009 at 12:38:35 pm

If this has happened right after the upgrade, then the upgrade broke some codecs. You may need to reinstall QT.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Dring
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:31:04 pm

Not sure if this helps but sounds similar to

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1046262#1057856

Return to posts index

Tamas Erdosi
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:26:29 am

- Are you using Snow Leopard or Leopard?
- Is the codec on the P2 DVCPRO50?
- Are the screens white when you try other type of footage?

This white screen does definetely sound like a QT issue with DVCPRO50 codec.Something weird must have happened during the update.Even QT opens your files but FCP don't I would guess an FCP install problem.I would suggest to remove and clean FCP then reinstall the software.

Tamas Erdosi
http://www.tamaserdosi.eu

Tamas Erdosi / http://www.tamaserdosi.eu

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:19:25 pm

IMHO is nothing related with codecs, otherwise QT wouldn't play the clips.
Trashing Preferences and a bit of cleaning (DiskWarrior, Permissions,..).
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

andrew paul bowser
on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:40:34 pm

Trashed all my preferences- and I'm still having the same problem.

Answers to other questions :

- Are you using Snow Leopard or Leopard?

Leopard.

- Is the codec on the P2 DVCPRO50?

It is set to DVCPRO HD 720p60.

- Are the screens white when you try other type of footage?

I just tried bringing in some mini-DV footage and I have the exact same problem.

Thoughts?

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Edward Randolph
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:15:22 pm

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro with FCP 7;
Canvas and viewer are white or sometimes solarized looking with EX1 footage.
Does anyone have a fix?

Edward Randolph

Return to posts index

Mike McClare
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:44:57 am

I'm having the same white window problem on my MacBook Pro.

Installed FCP 7 (upgrade from FCP 6), running OS X (ver. 10.5.8), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Quicktime Pro ver 7.6.4 - getting white screens in FCP viewer and program monitors no matter what media formant or still format. Videos play fine in Quicktime.

However, if I select from the program or viewer pull downs: Alpha & RGB - I can finally see the footage but with the normal red alpha tint overlay.

Additionally, if I pull the white screen footage directly from the viewer into the timeline, during the drag I can see the footage thumbnail as it should be - but the footage plays white as soon as I place it in the time line.

Occasionally, I get a weird "8-bit like" image displayed in the viewer as if the footage is solarized.

Also notice same white issue in Motion.

My FCP and FCServer support folks have tried trashing prefs, complete uninstall and reinstall. Complete uninstall of Red Giant Plug-ins (Primate Keyer, Magic Bullet, Colorista). Ugh! Nothing seems to fix it.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tamas Erdosi
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:00:55 am

So if it's always white, it's not QT itself for sure.I guess, the first thing you have tried to clean and restore FCP preferences.I don't think it helps it should be some weird problem during FCP upgrade.
My opinion is still some codec defection within FCP when it wants to connect to QT something doesn't work to make the video properly.I never experienced it FCP but sevearl times in Avid.If you want to import some unsupported codec into Avid the exact same thing happens.My conclusion is that FCP does not support your video files (in your case nothing) and it should be an internal install issue.If it worked before the upgrade it's that.

- Have you tried to reinstall FCP?
That's the only thing I can imagine in this case hoping it helps.I suppose you've tried everything basic like trash preferences etc.
If you have another video software installed try to open the same files in that (try Motion first) , as well.If it opens fine it's definetely FCP if it doesn't open it's a more serious issue in OSX file handling.
If it doesn't help it could be some software conflict under OSX.If you have other editing, compositing, graphics software installed mainly apple based it could occur but it's pretty rare though.

Tamas Erdosi / http://www.tamaserdosi.eu

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:09:52 am

"It is set to DVCPRO HD 720p60"

Is this what the QuickTime player reports? What are the exact specs in movie info? What are the item properties in FCP? The same?

Please give exact versions of the OS and QuickTime that you're running.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

andrew paul bowser
on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:15:53 pm

I am running OS X 10.5.8

Quicktime Pro 7.6.4

And when I click "Apple I" on my files to get their info, the codec listed is "DVCPRO HD (720p60)"

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 25, 2009 at 11:53:26 am

This is Cmd-I in the QuickTime player, correct? Could you post a small piece of this media somewhere on the web for us to look at? I don't see why this does not work for you.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Victor Milton
on Feb 21, 2010 at 6:15:18 pm

Reinstalling Quicktime didn't make a difference either; it still plays white (and when paused the imaged comes back) on my MBP. Any ideas? I'm getting a little desperate..

Thanks in advance!

cheers, Victor

Return to posts index

Victor Milton
on Feb 18, 2010 at 10:26:07 am

Hello everyone,

Did someone ever find a solution to this, as now that I've installed FCP 7 on my fathers macbook, the canvas is persistently white as well during playback; except for when I switch to the Alpha + RGB display, then a red haze is over it.

I can Scrub through the video when I select the background display as white instead of black (no idea what that's about, seems retty random), but not Play

Reinstalling didn't work, neither did trashing preferences..

Hope someone can help!

Thanks a lot in advance,

Victor Milton

Return to posts index

Eugene Huo
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:45:36 pm

I am also experiencing this same issue, and it's very frustrating.

I have video that appears solarized in the viewer and in the canvas, but when opened in Quicktime it appears normal. The file format is a Photo-JPEG mov file, generated from FCP 7 on my desktop Mac, for use as an offline proxy edit on my MacBook Pro.

Needless to say there's not much editing going on with the video looking like this...

http://eugenehuo.posterous.com/14232191

And here is the same file on the same computer, open in Quicktime looking normal:

http://eugenehuo.posterous.com/14232240

I'm running 10.5.8 Leopard, with the latest software updates. It's a new install of FCP Studio, prefs trashed, etc.

Return to posts index

Victor Milton
on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:29:36 am

Hey Eugene,

I fixed it somehow and I forgot what did it (so sorry..)
However, maybe the tips on the bottom of this page help:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1046262

Hope to wake up in the morning and remember..

cheers, Victor

Return to posts index

Eugene Huo
on Mar 23, 2010 at 11:29:50 am

Thanks Victor,

I went and looked at the suggestions, and I tried switching monitor colors from millions to thousands and back, and nothing changed. Then I tried changing screen resolutions, back and forth, still no change.

Then I tried connecting my DVI adapter (no monitor attached, mind you) to the side, triggering a external monitor recognition, and then removed it, while FCP was running. No change.

THEN, as I went to quit and it asked me if I wanted to save the project, the colors went back to normal!!! I cancelled the quit and yes, the colors were all normal again.

Now as I launch FCP again, it's still normal.

I don't know what did it, but it's very strange. At least for now, problem solved.

Return to posts index

Edward Randolph
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:08:51 pm

I asked Apple Tech Support about this months ago and the answer I got was, "Delete prefs, reinstall FCP and if that doesn't work (which it didn't) reformat your HD and reinstall OSX."
I'm not kidding. That's the support I got.
I've got 30GB of software installed on my MBP laptop and it all works perfectly except for FCP.
It would take days to rebuild it. I'm not happy with Apple's buggy software. Why don't they address this issue?
Fortunately I don't have a pressing editing project right now, but I still want FCP to work.

Edward Randolph

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:16:09 pm

I have had this problem in the past and found that creating a new user on the system and opening FCP will solve the problem. It's a pain to bring all your desktop files from one user to another, but much faster then reinstalling everything.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Return to posts index

Victor Milton
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:18:07 pm

THAT WAS IT! (as in, I concur with Mike; for some weird reason, making a fresh user worked out for me too)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]