FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it even possible to Rotoscope this scene

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fitzgerald
Is it even possible to Rotoscope this scene
on Sep 22, 2009 at 3:01:55 am

Hi all,

So I shot my footage on a Sony FX1 - its in 1080i60 HD. I only have Apple Final Cut Studio 2 Academic. I shot a scene in which a figure walks past a tv several times. At the time of the shoot i didn't have the correct footage I needed on the tv so i just popped in a tape. (stupid mistake #1). The scene called for a snuff film to be playing- it has major purpose to the story, So after I was done with the shoot, I went and shot a fake snuff film and put it on top of the original footage. It looks great, the only problem is when the guy walks in front of it - the snuff footage stays on top and walks behind it.

I can't re-shoot for a number of reasons - I might be able to re-order the shots but I really don't want to. Is there any way to fix this. What software do I need?

Mike

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Is it even possible to Rotoscope this scene
on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:24:21 am

Ugh!!! Too bad you didn't just stick a chroma key green card on the TV screen or even just leave it turned off, then you could have keyed out what was on the TV and put anything behind the moving guy. Now you'll have to roto every frame, and you're going to need something other than what came in the FCS2 box.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:35:59 am

The guy who walks past the TV can't be in front of the TV for more than a few frames. That should be reasonably easy to mask using FCP's 8-point garbage matte or even in Motion.

What you need is to place the TV screen footage on a new layer V2 to comp it into the TV. Then place the V1 layer on top of that on V3. Trim the clip in V3 to only include frames that the guy is walking past the TV. Then with the garbage matte, make a mask around that part of his body that covers the TV. This is also called a 'hold-out matte'.

If you need more than 8 points, send the clip to Motion where you have a bezier matte.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:56:59 am

Hi Neil,

Wow, you make that sound so easy...

I'd never think about doing it with the 8-point garbage matte, but I guess I'm just spoiled, cuz I use Combustion for these things.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:23:01 pm

If you need more than 8 points, send the clip to Motion where you have a bezier matte.

Have you tried Tom's 50 point Bezier Matte? It feels a little clunky, but when you get the hang of it works pretty darn well.

http://homepage.mac.com/tomhenderson/beziermatte/

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 22, 2009 at 5:00:00 am

You will need to roto this out. You can try Motion. If you're not happy with the result, try Shake, it's got pretty good roto tools. If that's not good enough, try Silhouette Roto. It's a dedicated roto/paint tool, and it will definitely speed up the process.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:51:57 am

This may help you:

Boris Continuum Motion Key

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.asp?sid=379

The motion on the TV screen may compromise this plugin, but then again, it may not. Worth a try if there's a trial version.

Wayne

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Sep 22, 2009 at 12:36:13 pm

If you have PS3 extended you get all the familiar tools in photoshop on video
clumsy mouse driven controller though make sure you activate animation controller.
arrow keys move the footage NOT the frames. need to use the mouse for that
great dirt fixes! cleanup

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 22, 2009 at 1:50:36 pm

I'd try something Mocha for Final Cut Pro if the roto and track is complex.

http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha_for_Final_Cut/

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Communication
------------------------

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:26:33 pm

You could do this very quickly in Motion with a hold out matte as described above, no need for expensive plug-ins.

Kevin Monahan
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:19:43 am

I would also recommend using Silhouette. A very good rotoscope tool.

Be aware that it can take a lot of time and effort. But if you work carefully you can get some very good results.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]